*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/415963-The-Sweet-Pleasure-of-Losing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#415963 added March 29, 2006 at 11:00am
Restrictions: None
The Sweet Pleasure of Losing
I lost my match last night. Got my ass kicked, by a twenty-three year old – 1:1. OMG! Could it be any more humiliating? I told my opponent’s boyfriend, upon leaving the court. “Yeah, she whipped up on the old lady.”

To which my opponent politely replied, looking over toward her boyfriend. “She’ lying. She’s not old.” God I love this girl.

Her boyfriend then said to me – and I quote – “If it’s any consolation to you, just before the match, she came up to me and said ‘I have to play singles – against a really good girl.’

Yeah, at forty-two, I’ll take the consolation. Not only did she call my tennis skills good, she called me a girl! (As in, not an old lady. Or, even lady.) Yep, she earned some points in my book.

When you dissect the play-by-play. I didn’t do quite as bad as the score reflects. I can’t even remember how many deuce games we had. She could get to pretty much everything except my deep cross-court shots. So, of course, I hit a lot of those out, just trying to go deep. She loved to slice and chip the ball over. My feet just don’t move too fast from the baseline after a serve up into the service box. Boy do I need footwork drills.

Why did I wait till I was thirty-seven to pick up a racquet?

Overall, as always, I had great fun. So did she. Of course she did. Winning is always fun.

Oh, another consolation: She says she wants me on her team next season. I’m taking that a compliment.

© Copyright 2006 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/415963-The-Sweet-Pleasure-of-Losing