*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/419124-Too-Much-In-One-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#419124 added April 12, 2006 at 8:16pm
Restrictions: None
Too Much In One Day
Laney is back at school today. I’m physically tired, mentally drained, and emotionally – I’m catching my breath. What a week. And it’s only Wednesday.

The weather cooperated nicely for Monday’s Individual Region Tournament. I was able to get some to cover part of my shift – thus enabling me to head over to the other tennis center bright and early – Eight thirty AM. Laney had a bye, so we walked around and watched her other teammates play theirs.

I had to leave in the middle of her match with the rival school. Laney and her partner waited until the second set to let their court presence be known. Why do they do this? I think they secretly hope their parents will grow more gray hairs. I stayed until the last possible second. Watching the girls play much better, and hoping as we drove out of the parking lot, they would force a third set. Donna, Laney’s partner’s mom, phoned on my cell to say they did. Yay for the girls.

Bryan rushed back over there and called me every few games…letting me know when they tied it up three-three and then, once again to say they had won! Yessss! The girls would now play in the finals.

Once off from work, I made it back over to the tournament to see all four players draggin’ their feet. No one was playing the tennis I knew they were capable of. Laney and her partner lost in straight sets.

But, she came in second! In the Region Tournament! What a way to go!!!!

By the time they dragged themselves off the court, we headed over to court 13 where the last match of the tournament was being played A teammate and the rival school were duking it out for third and fourth place. Laney’s school vs the Rival School. We took over the bleaches next to the fence and cheered our boy on. He was amazing. A third setter. He was down three – four and managed to win the match seven – five.

The team wanted to celebrate over dinner. Why not? They all worked hard during the season and now, during the tournament.

Two hours later, we are driving Laney to a med center; she is having a severe asthma attack. She used her rescue inhaler, but it isn’t working. My heart thumps loudly, driven by anxiety. I’ve never see her this bad off. She is lethargic. Her eyes glassed over, I can barely hear her words as she expresses her inability to move her body, to speak a sentence, take a single breath.

After determining her oxygen level is 98 percent, they send us out to the waiting room. Four others have emergencies graver than ours. Laney’s new to asthma. I’m guessing, like me, she has trouble with the exhale. She is leaning on me as we walk back out. I see one empty chair in the corner next to the unisex restroom. The place is packed. Is it a full moon? The clock on the wall reads nine PM.

We wait. And wait. The room gathers more sick/injured people. And still we wait. Laney tries talking but struggles so finally she texts me.

I miss Blake. I want Blake. I wanna go home.

I reach over to hug her. “I know.” I say. I want you to breath. But I don’t say this.

They close down the front desk, lights out, computer off. There must be four patients left in the waiting room. Finally, they call us to the back. All of us. The WR empties through the doors and heads to their assigned room. Aahh, there is a bed in here. At least she can lay down.

Three breathing treatments. Most patients get one, sometimes two. Laney gets three. She will also get a steroid shot in her hip. She’s a trooper. Especially since she is suffering from a side effect of the breathing treatment. Muscle twitches are common, both the nurse and doctor tell us when they peek their heads through the door. Not to worry. Usually, the patient just experiences twitching in their hands. Three treatments and Laney’s entire body is twitching. Her arms, her legs, her head, face and lips. Bless her heart. It really pained my heart to watch.

Before being released, the doctor spent lots of time with us. Asking questions and relaying information about Laney’s condition. He’s worked with athletes with asthma. He assures us she will be ready to compete for her state tournaments.

I hope so. She’s worked so hard all season long, then never really quitting in the region tournament.

We go to Tifton on the 18th. I’ll keep you guys posted.

© Copyright 2006 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/419124-Too-Much-In-One-Day