*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/422987-The-Times
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#422987 added May 2, 2006 at 8:56am
Restrictions: None
The Times
Yesterday morning I skipped work in favor of a scheduled MRI. I was in the tube, chillin' (or possibly fryin') for about thirty minutes while two fifteen minute tests were run on me. I told my husband at dinner last night that with all the tests I've had lately, he probably won't need to turn on any lamps at night if I'm anywhere around.

Anyway, I got finished with the MRI around 9:30, and I didn't have to be at work until 11:30, so I decided that instead of going all the way back home only to have to come back, out, I would treat myself to breakfast at I-Hop.

This time I was seated in one of the smaller rear dining rooms instead of the large dining room. I started to ask for another location because the little room was full of people. I wanted to journal, and it wasn't going to be as easy tuning out conversations in there as it would be when they're floating around in the larger space, but I decided to stay and give tuning out a shot.

Across from me, two tables had been pushed together and there were about ten people seated there, talking and laughing together. it appeared that they all enjoyed each other's company. They were all senior citizens, looking to be beyond their sixties.

They spoke of their children, taking care of their yards, their health, the ladies discussed quilting and sewing. What tickled me most, though, was that they were an interracial group, three black men, one black woman, three white women, and two white men. And I wondered to myself at the way times have changed. In their lifetimes, there was a point at which what they were doing yesterday morning would never have taken place in a restaurant in the state of Georgia.

I thought I wanted to tune people out yesterday morning, but I'm glad that I didn't. It was a beautiful thing.




© Copyright 2006 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/422987-The-Times