*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429748
Rated: 18+ · Book · Drama · #1113010
Life is about to get perilous for the residents of the MS Gulf Coast.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#429748 added July 4, 2006 at 2:06am
Restrictions: None
Chapter One
Southern Sunshine Tourism
(Updated August 23, 2005)

A Frenchman named Pierre Le Moyne D’Iberville discovered its beauty in 1699. Others followed, capitalizing on its resources and transforming its tiny settlements into multicultural getaways by the 1800s. Its rumored ability to rejuvenate had both young and old flocking to its waters, and in time, it had become apparent to all there was so much more it had to offer.

See for yourself what those people discovered about the place they now call the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Chances are, you’ll see something you like.

Want to learn something about the Gulf itself? Take a tour through the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport for a glimpse at dolphins, sea turtles and many other saltwater creatures. If watching animals in their natural habitat suits your fancy, try a ferry ride to one of the state’s barrier islands, where you can also collect various seashells at your leisure. Or take a cruise on a hovercraft at the Alligator Farm in Pascagoula for something more daring.

As for you seafarers at heart, the Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum in Biloxi is a great place to learn the craft and history of fishing, shrimping and oystering in the Gulf.

Speaking of museums, the Mississippi Gulf Coast has others to see. The Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art houses the masterpieces of the “Mad Potter of Biloxi” George E. Ohr. Meanwhile, the Walter Anderson Museum of Art in Ocean Springs is the place to learn about one of Mississippi’s most renowned artists.

To satisfy your craving for antiquity, the Mississippi Gulf Coast is home to Beauvoir, the retirement home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Not far from there, you can also find the Biloxi Lighthouse, a guide for navigators since 1848. And don’t forget the many antebellum homes and antique shops that dot the Coast from Waveland to Pascagoula.

But for those of you who simply want to play, the Mississippi Gulf Coast offers nearly 30 miles of abundantly sandy beaches. Grown-ups can try their luck at any one of the dozen casino resorts, while the kids can enjoy the water parks and amusement centers nearby. And when all the action gets you hungry, stop by any of the local restaurants for a bite. Whatever your taste buds desire, these little kitchens have it.

And that’s not all you can find here. Truth is, we’ve only hit the tip of the iceberg!

So come visit the Mississippi Gulf Coast. It’s your destination for an experience like no other.
© Copyright 2006 sunsbabe (UN: sunsbabe13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sunsbabe has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429748