*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431699
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#431699 added June 7, 2006 at 12:07pm
Restrictions: None
Solitary
Written for the: "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: I am a rock. I am an Island.

____________

In the cool confines of Dr. Mitchell’s office, Josh stretched out long legs on the narrow couch and laced his hands behind his head. In here it was quiet and soothing, a contrast to the bustle of the city outside the windows. He tapped his feet gently, hummed beneath his breath, before announcing to no one in particular.

“I am a rock. I am an Island.”

Dr. Mitchell lifted her gaze from the notepad and eyed her teenage client with a small smile. “Why do you say that, Josh?”

She still found it hard to believe that this honor roll student had walked in here a day ago claiming to be ‘sick’.

“Since Dad died...over there,” Josh began, “everyone depends on me, you know? That’s why I’m a rock. My mom, my friends, they all think I’m this really cool guy that’s got everything going for him. They come to me when they need help. I’m the guy with the ideas, the solutions to all their problems. And it just piles up inside of me. No one wants to hear about my issues. So who do I turn to?”

“Is that why you’re also an Island?”

“Yup.” He sighed and closed his eyes, refusing to give in to the queasy sensation in his stomach. When things seemed to get out of control, he always felt like throwing up. “I’m all alone, Doc. When I really think about, I’m like this empty island in the middle of a wide ocean of people. Sometimes I just want to sink and disappear completely.”

“Will that make you happy? To disappear?”

“Probably not,” he replied, after a moment. “I can’t stand to see my mother crying. Besides, I have a baby sister coming soon, and someone’s got to be her rock. Me.”



Word Count: 300



© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431699