*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431992-Proofreading
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #1109743
Writing and avoiding writer's block requires constant creativity.
#431992 added June 8, 2006 at 3:30pm
Restrictions: None
Proofreading
Ahh. The notorious and laborious process of proofreading. How I loathe it!
But, still I can't complain. I know my novel needed it. The first draft gets the skeleton set up. The second draft adds the flesh to it. And well, the proofreading makes sure that all the details are correct.
I finished up the piece a few days ago, while wrestling with the ending. Everything was going smoothly until the end. I had one unanswered question and a character lingering in the shadows saying, "You know what I did."
Funny, I had forgotten all about him. I had pinned all the evidence on the obvious culprit, but there at the end, I knew I had to (for the reader's sake) answer the one burning question, "What really happened?"
Proofreading the piece, twice I had read through it and each time I thought, I have a puzzle piece missing. So I added it at the end. Tied all my loose ends. Now I found that I needed a bit more meat on them bones.
The action was more narrative, and my characters just going through the motions of life, with nothing more than the narrator to send them on their way. Good for a play, but not in a book where you need to see each detail.
But I do know that I have found a lot of great resources and input from some of the other writers here at Writing.com. There are lots of articles to read and help you improve your writing.


My Hobbies' Home
Handmade by Martha
http://www.handmadebymartha.esmartdesign.com


© Copyright 2006 Finding my Path (UN: mbishop25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Finding my Path has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431992-Proofreading