*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/434986
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097072
For the rest of my Writer's Cramp Entries
#434986 added June 20, 2006 at 6:30pm
Restrictions: None
Night Journey
Prompt: Write a poem or story that includes the names of three African animals. (You can study them at the zoo, notice them in a book, go on a real safari, find them in your child's toybox, or . . .)
*Gift3*Honorable Mention Entry for 04/15/06*Gift3*

_____________________________


I was only eight years old when my grandmother allowed me to travel to the neighboring village of Umeunkule with her. She had to prepare for the next market day and to get a good spot in the square; she’d have to leave as early as possible. Since the days were incredibly hot, we decided to leave in the evening. We’d travel for the better part of the night until we got to her brother’s hut.

I was terribly excited and bragged about it to my friends. As expected, I was the envy of my peers, everyone thinking I was now a man. I promised to bring them some sweet udara fruits, fried plantains and the most precious commodity of all, boiled peanuts, when I returned. I was sure grandmother would let me get as much as possible if I behaved myself.

When the time came for the journey, I helped to pack up the pots and baskets filled with dry crayfish, prawns and smoked fish. My grandfather had caught them just a week ago and grandmother had prepared them with much care. I grinned happily as she placed a small basket on my head. I was able to balance it quite well without dropping it and all but hopped from one foot to another, eager to get started.

“Ready, Emeka’m? “

“Yes, grandmother. Let’s go!”

She laughed heartily. “My, my, the boy is bossy, isn’t he?”

With a final check of our belongings, the journey finally began. As we walked past the smattering of huts that made up the outskirts of our village, I suddenly felt a small tingle of fear creep up my spine at the forest that stood before us. I had never been in there before, grandmother always warning me never to go in there unless I was with a grown-up. There was apparently a shortcut through the thick trees with their creeping vines that would take us to the next village and I wondered what awaited us in there.

As soon as we were hidden from the last hut, I heard a wailing cry, like that of a baby being abandoned in this huge place. I gave a small cry of my own but grandmother laughed softly in reassurance.

“It’s okay, Emeka’m. There’s nothing to be scared of. That’s just a bushbaby.

“A bush…baby?”

“Yes. Look up that tree, do you see that small creature with the big eyes. That’s the sound it makes to alert the others about intruders into their domain. They will not hurt us if we do not bother them.”

I ‘oohed’ in awe as I watched one of them leap to another tree, so quickly I almost lost it in its flight. It’s tail was also quite long – almost longer than myself and yet it was as small as a squirrel!

As we walked further along, every now and then looking back to catch sight of a bushbaby, we came to the Membe River, a brown mucky stretch of water we had to cross. The water was cold as we waded in. It wasn’t that deep or far across, so we were bound to get to the other shore quickly. However, my breath caught in my throat as I noticed a dog standing on the other side of the river.

“Grandma!” I called out quickly. “Look! What’s that?”

“That’s a side-striped jackal,” she explained patiently. “Remember what I said now, be careful and do not disturb him or he’s bound to call his pack. You’ll know when he does, because he makes a yipping sound.”

I nodded slowly and watched the jackal with its clever eyes as it followed our every move. It seemed to see that we meant him no harm and silently disappeared into the trees. I gave a small sigh of relief and tried to keep up with my grandmother who was now going ahead of me.

“Almost there, Emeka’m. Keep your eyes and ears open and you’ll see another beautiful creature of the forest. The DikDik

I did as I was told, my ears now getting used to the different sounds of the night, and sure enough, the graceful shape of a deer soon seemed to appear before us. I gasped in delight as I watched it walk past us. Its light brown coat gleamed beneath the dull glow of moonlight. It stopped and looked at us with its large black eyes, its small ears twitching as if acknowledging our presence. It was a rather small deer and I wished I could have it for a pet. But when I told Grandma about it, she only laughed.

“Perhaps someday it will pay us a visit in the village, but for now, we can only admire God’s creatures in their natural habitat. The way they were meant to be, Emeka’m. Oh look, we are finally here.”

I could make out the huts in the distance and my footsteps quickened in excitement although I was now tired and hungry. But after a hearty meal of roasted corn and vegetable soup, I lay in my hut, listening to the soothing sounds of grandmother and my uncle still talking by the fire outside. I thought of the exciting trip I had taken and all the wonderful animals I had seen. The bushbaby, the jackal and the DikDik, all of God’s beautiful creatures just where they were supposed to be.

I wondered what other animals awaited me on the trip back home and as I feel into deep and welcome sleep, I knew I’d have lots of wonderful stories to share with my friends.


Word Count: 932

© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/434986