*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/439993-No-Assistance-Necessary-Part-IV
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1130519
A South African based story introducing us to Johann Pienaar and his fight with HIV.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#439993 added July 12, 2006 at 6:18am
Restrictions: None
No Assistance Necessary Part IV
XIX
A Homecoming Surprise

Johann lay in bed contemplating the state of his health. He felt the outer edges of depression tickling his mood when he dwelt on his unfulfilled life. A lighter feeling, however, prevailed. A sense of peace had crept over him. Exploring this thought made him realise his life was perhaps not so unfulfilled after all. The fact that he hadn’t yet seen his clinic completed or met anyone whose life had been changed by it, gave rise to excitement yet to be experienced. Something to look forward to. He picked up the newspaper and was again, pleasantly surprised, that he could read. Johann spent a long time catching up on news items he’d heard nothing about. Two hours later, his good eye was tearing from the concentration. Johann looked up.
“Knock, Knock?” A voice called from the doorway.
“Hi – er – Rudi?” Johann squinted at the shape in the doorway.
“Wow! Right first time. Hey! Lekker brille, boet!” Rudi dropped a clothes hanger, holding one of Johann’s suits, on to the bed.
“Tertia gave it to me. Says she’s not sure if you’ve got decent clothes to come out of hospital in. She says you should wear these.” Johann looked at the black suit trousers, complete with white, round necked shirt and matching double breasted blazor.
“Jeez! She likes her men to come out of hospital looking smart hey?”
“I think she thought you might fit into those, better than anything else?” Rudi said thoughtfully.
“Suppose, she looked for smaller clothes in the back of the wardrobe, I don’t remember any of this stuff. Better than nothing hey?” Johann threw aside the bedclothes and stood to dress. His earlier depression wiped away by the excitement of returning home.

Johann was enjoying the journey home. He kept his new glasses on. They seemed to help what little vision he had, become less blurred. It was a beautiful day, a clear blue sky above him. He smiled as he realised it felt good to be alive. Rudi pulled into the driveway, stealing glances at Johann through the rear view mirror. Johann was squinting at his flower beds lining the driveway. Recognizing that everything was in full bloom, he wished he could see better to appreciate all the colours. Johann climbed out of the car and started to negotiate, from memory, the pathway to the front door of his home. He didn’t see all the cars parked on the lawn, right of the driveway.

Johann entered his lounge. The musical sounds of Enya filtered through surround speakers around him. He felt his way to the open French doors and squinted out into the sunlight at the grounds. People! Lots of people! A figure was marching towards him; he stood still until the figure came into vision. Elizabeth grabbed his arm.
“Welcome home!” She said.
“What’s going on?” Johann asked.
“Sorry. Not for me to say. You’ll have to wait for Tertia. Come outside so long. Say hello to all your friends and family”
“Family!”
“Yes, of course.” Elizabeth giggled secretively. As she led him through the grounds, people started coming over to him, shaking his hand, congratulating him. Dave, his friend who owned the import / export company, slowly walked towards him.
“Hey there Johann! It’s good to see you. How are you feeling?”
Johann could make out Dave’s expression and decided Dave clearly, did not think it was good to see him. Dave stood erect, his body language indicated his discomfort at being so close to Johann. His smile was thin and false and his eyes darted over Johann’s face and body.
“Ja, Good to see you too Dave. Now that you’ve seen me, you can go. You don’t look comfortable here and I’m sure, that a busy man, such as yourself has got somewhere else he has to be?”
“Urm, Ja, actually. I stole some time to be here. It would be better if I left now. Thanks Johann. Oh, and er, - Johann, I’m sorry. You know? About what happened to you, Ok?”
“What? HIV / AIDS? Worry about it Dave. It could happen to you just as easily.” Johann replied smiling bitterly as he walked away from Dave. Elizabeth had wandered off, mingling, while Johann had been talking to Dave. Johann was gingerly finding his own way through people, saying “Hi” here and there. Accepting best wishes and listening to people skirt around the issue of his health seemingly oblivious to any of his obvious physical changes. Johann felt he was in one of his dreams. He desperately wanted to wake up. He felt himself becoming anxious. He found himself in front of a long table, running the length of one of the gardens. There was a waiter behind the table. He was dressed in the usual penguin suit, synonymous with these types of affairs. Johann leant forward, looking closely at the waiter, waiting for recognition to hit him. He realised he didn’t know this man.
“Would you like a drink sir?” The waiter asked. A drink? Johann thought. God yes, I’d love one!
“Do you have whisky?”
“Yes, we do, Sir. J & B or Bells?”
“Hmm, Bells, please. Tall glass, lots of ice, and water. Thanks” Once he had his drink, his anxiety dissipated somewhat. He felt like a naughty school boy. Taking sly sips at his drink while talking to people he soon realised he’d never met. He was on his second whisky, when he spotted a group of chairs being manoeuvred. Walking closer, he recognized several family members. There was Elize, shuffling everyone into place as usual. His parents, out of the line of fire, comfortably sipping on what looked like cocktails. His two brothers, laughing raucously, were holding Black Label bottles to their mouths. Johann walked across to them.
“Well, hello all!”
“Ah! The man of the moment!” Piet, his younger brother, slapped Johann on the back, laughed uncomfortably, then threw his arms around Johann in a clumsy embrace.
“Hey, Hey, Piet. Boet! Lekker to see you too!” Johann was taken aback at the show of emotion. He gently broke away from his brother and saw the tears in his eyes. Johann went around the rest of his family, greeting, kissing, shaking hands, slapping backs. He suddenly felt a rush of affection towards his family. He sensed they were shocked and upset at his appearance, but they didn’t treat him any different. Their eyes didn’t hold fear and contempt like Dave’s had. They held instead, acceptance and love.

A firm hand at his elbow, Johann turned and saw Rudi.
“You need to come over here.” Said Rudi.
“To what?” Johann asked happily. The whisky was going down well.
“Ah, So everybody can get a good look at you”
“Rudi, you’ve got one hell of a warped sense of humour”
“Ja well, so have a couple of other people round here. Enjoy yourself.” Winning a brief tug of war, he took Johann’s drink off him and left a reluctant Johann at the far end of the lawn in front of a small wrought iron gazebo. Rudi was right; as Johann turned around he could see that all the guests were seated and looking at him. From somewhere, music began. It took Johann a moment to recognize that the tune was “Here comes the bride.” By the time he’d placed it, turning to look at the passage created between the seated guests, he picked out a figure walking towards him.
“Tertia” He whispered to himself. As she drew closer and closer, Johann began to appreciate the beautiful sway of the green and cream silk, haute couture dress she wore. Her blonde hair piled high on her head, small, teased ringlets hung down cheekily at various places enveloping her face. She stopped and smiled brilliantly at Johann’s stunned expression.
“Now seemed like a good time.” She whispered as she kissed his cheek.
“Turn around and let’s get married.” She guided Johann closer to the gazebo.

The service was thankfully, short. Johann needed to sit down and rest once it was over. He felt the usual outpouring of energy and the beginnings of drowsiness. He tried not to show any of these symptoms but Tertia’s eye had picked them up. The main table, seating twenty people, had been set up under the patio roof in the shade. It faced the other tables dotted about the lawn. Tertia took her seat alongside Johann. Guests filtered up to the table congratulating them. Tertia handled them all, smiling sweetly. Accepting thanks and responding appropriately to every comment. Johann kept her free hand in his. He held her hand tightly, amazed at her cool demeanour. When he felt he should, he occasionally leaned forward and shook hands, particularly with all his friends. He shook Colin’s hand, expecting to see the same expression as Dave had worn. Instead he looked into sympathetic, but happy eyes, and his handshake was warm and firm.

Finally everyone was seated. Speeches started. Johann, surreptitiously ordered another whisky, willing time to fly. He leaned across to Tertia and said “I don’t know how you managed to organize all this so quickly, but well done!”
“Oh thanks! It was nothing.” She managed to say sarcastically while still smiling sweetly.
“Can’t wait to get me into bed can you?” Johann smiled back at her.
“You should be so lucky!”
“I am! You’re now Mrs. Pienaar. I have conjugal rights”
“Johann, don’t even joke about this.” The smile dropped from her face.
“Ok. Sorry. But my God, you look beautiful; I don’t know how I’m going to keep my hands off you.”
“There’s other things we can do, you know?” Tertia winked at him then smiled back out at the guests. The microphone was passed to Johann. Amidst cries of “Speech, Speech.” He looked out at his guests as he rose.
“Thank you all very much for coming today. I have not prepared a speech, so please bear with me. In fact, as some of you out there know, I have been completely surprised by today’s events. Not unhappily so. I have had many surprises today. Surprised at finding so many of you here, whether you be Tertia’s friends and family or my own. The fact that you are here, celebrating our wedding with us, speaks volumes about your friendship to the two of us. It is, I suppose, common knowledge by now, that I am suffering with AIDS. Not exactly a subject you would expect to be addressed at a wedding. I am aware, however, that it is being discussed. Some of you are wondering, why, at this stage, would we decide to marry? I’d like to answer. Firstly, we are marrying because we do love each other deeply, in a special way that few people are lucky enough to discover. Secondly, Tertia is a wonderfully strong woman, capable of the ups and downs this union is likely to bring. Lastly, as a reminder to everyone that happiness can be found at any stage of life.
Thank you Tertia, for becoming my wife.” Amongst the applause, Johann leant forward and kissed Tertia tenderly on the cheek.

Johann mingled amongst guests with Whisky and water in tow. He was enjoying himself. It had been a long time since he’d had any kind of festivities taking his mind off his illness. He wandered over to where his family was gathered and took a seat next to Elize.
“It’s just you left now Elize. Is there any chance of you tying the knot with some poor unsuspecting man?”
“Not at the moment Johann, I still want to be happy for a while.” She said dryly.
“Jeez, that’s a negative attitude isn’t it?’
“Not the way I see it. Once a woman becomes a wife, a man becomes her boss. Just look at you for example. You’ve certainly found the right person to take care of your financials should you curl up and die on us.”
“Elize, what you don’t know, is that Tertia and I began dating before I discovered I was HIV positive. Had I not been positive, she would have become my wife anyway. What would you have said then? Would you have suggested I’d married her to cook, clean and bare children for me?”
“So why have you married her Johann?”
“Because I’d like to spend what time I have left with her.” Tertia had walked up behind Johann and Elize, she bent forward and put her arms around Johann’s shoulders.
“Why do you two look so serious?”
“Just chatting about marriage. It’s always a serious conversation around Elize.” Johann joked. Elize stood, clearly unimpressed. She walked away.
“Was it something I said?” Tertia asked.
“Don’t worry. She’s hard work that’s all. Come and sit by me Mrs. Pienaar and tell me how you managed to wangle all this in twenty-four hours”
***

XX
Johann’s Pride

Johann woke up feeling dreadful. He’d forgotten how hangovers felt. He turned on his side and gazed into the pale face sleeping peacefully next to him. He reached out and gently stroked Tertia’s face. Memories of last night came flooding back. Tertia was a surprise to him. She was a warm loving creature. Her uninhibited imagination had left him completely satisfied last night. He wondered if she had felt the same. The telephone suddenly spliced the air noisily. Tertia turned over and picked up the phone.
“Hello?” She answered curtly.
“Oh, Ja. Hi! Fine, fine. Yes it was lovely. Thank you for being here.”
Johann began tracing the outline of her slender shoulders with his fingers. He saw the gooseflesh rise on her skin and grinned.
“Ja? What! Really? Terrific! We’ll be right there! Thanks. See you just now!”
She hung up and spun round, wide-eyed and grinning from ear to ear.
“Johann, get up! I’m going to take you to your clinic before we leave for our honeymoon. I was going to leave it until we got back but guess what?”
“You’re going to tell me anyway, aren’t you?’ He raised an eyebrow at her.
“Johann, they’ve found a donor for Tasmin. They’re going to go through all the procedures tomorrow.”
Johann flopped back onto his pillows.
“Oh. Thank you God! That’s wonderful news.” A feeling of intense relief overcame him. A whisper in his head said “This is all you were waiting for” He pushed the voice away. Tertia was running around the bedroom, trying to find suitable clothes, with her cell phone clutched to her ear.
“What time are we catching The Blue Train?” Johann asked.
“Eleven o’ clock. It’s nine-fifteen, so, hurry up and get up Mr. Pienaar! I’m phoning Rudi now to come and collect us”
He did as he was told. Smiling to himself, he thought of Elize’s comment on the husband becoming a boss. Not in this house. He thought. Tertia had organized everything. Arranged a honeymoon, she’d done his packing for him, paid for everything and was already shouting orders at him. The Blue Train was a fantastic idea. A luxury train traveling to Cape Town along the Garden route, gazing out at idyllic scenery, amazing food in the restaurant carriage and even beds to sleep in at night. The motion of the train would comfortably rock them to sleep. It would be an extremely relaxing way to spend a week. Two days on the train to Cape Town, two days in Cape Town and two days back to Johannesburg.

They were traveling along the highway approaching the turn off, when Tertia pointed out the clinic to Johann.
“Can you see?” She asked pointing.
“See the neon sign on the top of the building?” Johann could barely make out the signboard and shook his head. His breath was taken away by the little he could see. The area around the clinic had been cleared. There were lush, healthy green bushes and pot plants dotted around the front parking lot. The building itself looked clean. Somehow, he couldn’t remember it as it had been originally. They pulled into the parking lot. Johann got out slowly and looked up. ‘JOHANN PIENAAR, HIV/AIDS AND CANCER CLINIC’ Tertia stood next to him.
“Apparently, at night, you can see the sign from Sandton”
“Maybe we should do that sometime. I’d like that.” Johann said thoughtfully.
“Let’s go in, Mr. Pienaar. I want to show you around quickly”
They walked in through the automatic glass doors. Johann could still see signs of incompletion around the reception area. There were small stands of scaffolding dotted around some of the walls where the ceiling cornices still needed painting. There was a tarpaulin covering what he assumed must be rubble or building equipment, in the centre of the reception area.
A coloured lady was answering phones at the marble black half moon shaped reception area. Tertia lead Johann toward reception and waited for the lady to finish her phone call.
“Hi Martie. I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Johann Pienaar. Johann, this is Martie van der Byl”
Johann leant forward and shook Martie’s extended hand. She looked slightly dumb struck. She didn’t say anything, just stared at Johann with a large grin on her face.
“I-I’m very happy to meet you sir.” She eventually stammered standing up.
“The pleasure’s all mine Martie. I hope you have a terrific day and that you enjoy your work here.” The phone began to ring again and Martie dutifully sat, smiling apologies at Johann as she answered.
“Johann Pienaar clinic, Martie speaking. How can we help you?”
Johann felt a niggling sensation in his chest, once he was in the lift he analysed a feeling of pride. He felt an enormous relief that his initial dream had in fact, turned into reality. Tertia was staring at him with a large, affectionate smile.
“You like?” She said.
“So far, I’m overjoyed.” He replied with honesty.
“We don’t have time for a full tour. Do you mind if we go in and see Tasmin? We can come back next week and do the full ten cent tour.”
“Sure, of course. I must say Tertia, you’ve done an amazing job here. I can’t thank you enough.”
“You have already.” She winked as they stepped out the lift and headed down the corridor.

There were three children sharing a large ward with Tasmin. Johann cringed as he passed one young boy. Fast asleep, he couldn’t have been more than three or four years old. His head was bald, his small body already showing signs of degeneration. Johann averted his gaze as if the vision would miraculously disappear from his mind.
“Johann!” An excited familiar voice cried out at him. He grinned.
“Tasmin” She ran towards him, hugging him happily.
“You’re sly!” She said “You never told me this was your clinic”
“Who told you it was?” He asked frowning.
“I’m not stupid you know. It’s got your name on the front.”
“That doesn’t mean it’s mine.” Johann chuckled.
“There are probably hundreds of Johann Pienaar’s out there!”
“Oh, so it’s not yours?” She looked at him with her sparkling, clear eyes challenging him. Johann ignored the question.
“I believe a donor has been found for you? Are you excited?”
“Yes! Doctor Mirriam came to see me. She said, if all goes well, I could be back at school in a month! Can you imagine? I can’t wait!”
“Do you like it here in this clinic?”
“Ja, it’s nice here. There’s lots to do. But I miss Rosie and Doctor Kolling. They’ve both been to see me, in fact they’ve been twice. I think Rosie likes it here too. I think she’s going to try and get a job here, but I don’t think Doctor Kolling will be happy about that. He says he’s going to be here tomorrow while they go through all the procedures, just to make sure everything gets done properly, he says he doesn’t trust people who he doesn’t know.”
“Tasmin, sweetheart.” Johann interrupted. “Take a breath. Air is good for you. You’re looking very well, I must say. Now, shall I tell you my good news?”
“What?” She asked.
“Tertia and I got married yesterday. It was a surprise for me when I got home.”
“Oh, – Oh. Congratulations! Are you going to have kids?”
“No, I think we may already be a bit too old for kids. But we would like to stay in touch with you, if that’s alright?”
“Ja! I want to show you my house and my baby brother. I’ll get Mama to make a nice supper and you can come ok? You and Tertia ok?”
“Alright. That’s sounds like a deal. So anyway we’re going to go on our honeymoon now. But we’ll phone you in a couple of days and find out how it all went and we’ll come and see you when we come back next week. Ok?”
“Ok. Have a nice time.” She smiled at both of them. Johann gave her a brief, tight hug and said “Good luck” Tertia blew Tasmin a kiss as they left the ward. Tertia and Johann spent five minutes with Tasmin’s Doctor Mirriam, checking that everything was in place for the next day’s procedures. They swapped cell numbers and left instructions that they were to be notified as often as possible on Tasmin’s progress.

Back in the car, Rudi had opened a bottle of champagne for their journey to the station.
“I think Tasmin’s going to pull through this.” Tertia commented, sipping champagne slowly.
“Ja, I really hope so. She’s a bright kid and she should be in school. I want to see her get past all of this. Hopefully one day, spending so much time in hospital, will just be a distant memory to her.”
“You’ve done a good thing there, Johann. You should be proud of yourself.” Tertia leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. They drove into the station with ten minutes to spare. By the time they had located the correct platform and Rudi had deposited their cases on the ground, it was eleven o’clock. Johann felt for the paperwork he had slipped in his breast pocket. He handed it, still folded, to Rudi
“Rudi, this is yours now. I hope you do well with it. Look after it carefully.”
“What’s this?” Rudi opened it, glanced at it and looked at Johann, confusion written on his face.
“Those are the original title deeds, now in your name, to the one remaining ‘Java-2-go.’ You always said Doreen would love to run one. Well, maybe both of you can learn together? Reap your own rewards. I hope you do well.” The Blue Train was chugging slowly into the station.
“I can’t take this!” Rudi gasped. He folded the deed and waved it back at Johann.
“Ja, you can. You’re not exactly tied up with my work any more, what else are you going to do with yourself?”
“Well, I, er, I just can’t, I mean, this is a huge thing Johann, I’m not sure I know where to start.”
“You can start at eight o’ clock tomorrow morning by getting your manager to show you the routine of the place. From there; well it’s up to you what you do with it.” The train had stopped and porters were emerging from the doors, helping passengers on with their cases.
“Johann, I don’t know what to say to you. Thank you. Doreen will be so excited, but the profits must still go to you. I can’t take all this without paying anything for it.” Tertia was being helped with their cases on to the train.
“Then if you feel that way, take fifty percent of the profits for yourselves and deposit the other fifty percent into the clinic’s account annually. Can you do that?” Johann held out his hand to Rudi. Rudi grabbed at his hand and shook it enthusiastically.
“Ja, I can do that. No problem. It’s a deal!”
“Great. Try and enjoy it ok?” Johann stepped on to the train.
“Have a great time the two of you. See you soon. Thanks again Johann!”
As the train pulled out of the station, both Tertia and Johann looked out the door’s window, smiling as they watched Rudi strutting up and down the platform, cell phone clutched to his ear, babbling merrily into the phone looking like the happiest man in the world at that moment in time. For the second time that morning, Johann’s heart was lifted.
***

XXI
Time to Chill

After a further three station stops, Johann and Tertia felt they were finally on their way. They booked a table for six o’ clock in the restaurant car and whiled away the time in the lap of luxury. Pouring over complimentary booklets advertising entertainment venues and shows they might like to see. Johann was on his fourth Chivas on ice and was warming to the unfamiliar feeling of ‘time away’.
“What made you think of the Blue Train for a honeymoon?” Johann asked.
“I just thought it would be relaxing. A good way to spend some time together. Would you rather have done something else?”
“No. This is perfect. I mean what else can I do? Look at me. I’m not in peak condition for climbing Mount Everest or a skiing trip, am I? I just think you’re an extremely perceptive woman. At the moment, I’m a lucky guy
to have you.”
“What do you mean, at the moment?”
“Well, you know what I mean. Tertia, it’s not going to last for long. You do know this don’t you?” Tertia sighed heavily. She looked away from him.
“Ja, Johann. I know whatever time we have will be too short. Unlike you though, I’m not dwelling on it. While we’re on the subject though, one last thing.” Tertia began fishing through her hand luggage. She pulled out a large manila envelope.
“You’re updated will.” She handed it to Johann. “Please sign it and then, can’t we just enjoy every moment we have together and not think about the next one? I mean for heavens sake! We’ve spent months making sure every aspect of your death is covered. We haven’t had time to realize that, right now, you are actually alive and kicking.”
“I know.” Johann said dejectedly. He paged disinterestedly through the will, initialing the pages and signing the last one. Handing the document back to Tertia, he looked at her longingly.
“I’m sorry for the trouble I’ve been. I know you’re going to say you did it with pleasure, but, Tertia, I’m truly sorry things have worked out the way they have. You have done everything I’ve asked, without complaint. I’ve wondered why? What’s been in it for you? Inevitable heartbreak? That’s not what I want to imagine you having to go through. I don’t know how to stop it for you, or make it easier. Can you tell me, what can I do to make this easier for you?”
“Yes. You can forget about all of this.” She said, waving the will in the air and then packing it back into her hand luggage.
“Enjoy yourself as much as you can and don’t mention your ailments to me for this entire honeymoon. How’s that?”
“Let’s seal the deal with a kiss!” Johann beamed at Tertia across the little cabin table. They we’re interrupted by a knock. The wooden paneled door slid open revealing an elegantly dressed waiter.
“Mr. and Mrs. Pienaar?”
“That’s us!” Tertia said laughing at Johann.
“My name is James. I’ll be your waiter this evening. I’m here to escort you to your table. If you’re ready, please follow me.”

Rudi had left the train station and driven back to Johann’s house in a cloud of elation. He was on the phone with his wife, Doreen, for about half an hour. She hadn’t believed him when he’d first told her the news of ‘Java-2-go’
“Stop talking kak, Rudi! Are you expecting me to believe that Mr. Pienaar has employed you as a driver for the past four years and now he’s decided to just give you his coffee shop for nothing?”
“Ja! He just gave me the title deeds. They’re already in my name. I can’t believe it myself. I’ve agreed to deposit fifty percent of the annual profit into the clinic he’s built, but still, you can give up your crappy job and let’s both go work in the coffee shop. Make it ours!”
“Unbelievable!” She was as excited as Rudi.
“When they get back from honeymoon, I think we should do something nice for him, y’know? Maybe you can come up with something? You’re good at that.” Rudi asked.
“Well, I was talking to Elizabeth earlier and she mentioned they stopped in to see that young girl, Tasmin. Apparently they couldn’t stay long. Johann hasn’t seen his own clinic properly yet. Why don’t we organize some kind of launch or opening day? Have a huge bash in his honour? What do you think?”
“I think you’re brilliant! Good idea. I have to fetch them from the station again next week Thursday at eleven.”
“Let me organize it for the Friday. We can do it from about ten in the morning and he can spend the day meeting all the doctors and staff. Oh! Guess what?”
“What” Rudi asked, nervously.
“This is going to be terrific if it works! Tertia organized a sculptor to do a bust of Johann as a memorial which is going in the middle of the reception area. If I can push the guy to finish it for next Thursday and have it mounted by Friday morning, wouldn’t that be great? He can witness the unveiling of his own memorial?”
“See what you can do. I like the idea. Let’s get rolling with it. I’ll see you later honey. I’m going past our business for a coffee!”
“Make sure you pay for it!”

Johann and Tertia had retired to their compartment after a totally decadent meal. While at dinner, their beds had been made up and they had spent a few hours chatting companionably about anything but what the future held. Tertia had announced a new marital rule. For as long as Johann was alive, they were to refrain from discussing the inevitable while they were alone together. They discussed past traveling experiences. Things they remembered while growing up. Past relationships and the dissolving of them. Around two in the morning they climbed into bed and were gently rocked into a deep sleep by the motion of the train.

Tertia woke to the sound of a gentle knock on the wooden door. Yawning and stretching she called out.
“Yes?”
“Morning Mrs. Pienaar. Breakfast will be served in the dining cart from nine until eleven, what time would you like a table?”
“Oh, er, is ten ‘o’ clock ok?”
“Certainly, I’ll book for you, could I bring some coffee for you in the meantime?”
“Please. That would be lovely. Thank you.”
Tertia glanced at Johann still sleeping peacefully beside her. Checking her watch she was surprised to see it was eight-thirty. It had been a long time since she had slept past five o clock on a morning. No wonder she felt so rested. Looking forward to the arrival of the coffee, she gently nudged Johann awake.
“Hey sleepy. Coffee’s on its way. How are you feeling?”
Johann stretched. He felt disorientated and registered a feeling of nausea.
“Hmm. Good morning to you too! I feel ok, I think, just a bit nauseas, maybe from the motion of the train all night?”
“Well… it made me sleep like a baby. I can’t remember the last time I slept so late and woke up feeling so good.” Tertia got out of bed and donned her robe which hung from the back of the door. There was a knock on the door. She opened it with a smile.
“Hi, just set it down here, thanks.” She pointed to the foot of the bed. The waiter set the tray down. Tertia passed a cursory tip as she closed the door.
“We’ll arrive in Cape Town at about twelve-thirty. There will be a car waiting to take us to the Peninsula Hotel. Then I think we should unpack and relax for a while before we go to the theatre tonight hey?” Tertia smiled, passing Johann his coffee.
“Whatever you say boss.” Johann answered, taking a sip of his filter coffee.
“Boss! Me?” Tertia cried feigning offence.
“Ja, Just for this trip. When it’s over, I expect you to be seen, preferably in the kitchen, and never heard, particularly during Rugby matches!”
“You male chauvinist pig!” Tertia chuckled as she climbed back into bed precariously holding her coffee.
Johann leant forward and set his half finished cup of coffee back down on the tray. Flopping back, he tightly closed his eyes. He could feel his bowels loosening. The nausea was rising in his stomach.
“What’s wrong?” Tertia asked, warning bells ringing in her mind.
“Er, nothing that won’t pass.” Smiling at his own pun, he explained. “It’s the usual problem. I’ve told you before; Coffee is far too strong a drink for me. You should have ordered me something softer, like, Chivas and ice.
“You’ve just woken up Johan! You can’t have whisky now!”
“Why not?” Johann looked at Tertia, his face reflecting a childish sulk.
“Because Johann, you haven’t eaten yet …”
“I ate last night.”
“Johann!”
“Ok!” He laughed. “I’ll wait until breakfast before I have one. Are you ready yet?”
“Good Lord, you’re incorrigible!
***

XXI
Cape Town

The Blue Train slowly pulled into Cape Town station. The railway tracks were abuzz with street kids trying to throw themselves at the windows to the Compartments begging for what ever they could get. Cigarettes, discarded cool drinks and scraps of leftover food. Their keen eyes picking out susceptible travelers carrying suitcases and handbags as easy targets for a snatch and run. Johann and Tertia spotted their names on a board held high by a coloured gentleman. They made their way towards him and introduced themselves. He informed them in musical tones synonymous with the Cape Town accent, that his name was Solly. They were to follow him to the car. Outside the station, Johann looked up and pulled in his breath at the site of Table Mountain. The mountain seemed to sit, royally presiding over the whole of Cape Town, like a judge, quietly taking cognisance of all that took place beneath him.
“I’m really glad we came here Tertia. Thank you.” Johann put his arm around Tertia and gave her a lingering kiss on the lips before climbing into the car.
“How many whisky’s did you have for breakfast?” Tertia teased.
“Only three, but I shall make up for that as soon as we arrive at the Hotel”
“Do you think you might manage some food to go with your whisky?”
“That would only allow sobriety to rule. Why would I do that? I’m enjoying myself!”
Once again Tertia swallowed down her fear for Johann. He had eaten nothing for breakfast. True to his word, he had ordered and drank three Chivas and ice. She wanted to scream out at him. Tell him how important it was for him to eat and provide his body with some nourishment. But the same small voice, coming from somewhere deep in her stomach, kept telling her to leave him. Let him enjoy himself. Let this trip be all about him. Allow him to do all the things he wanted to do with what time he had left. She kept biting her lip, stopping her mouth from insisting on all the things he should be doing. She realized she would rather be with Johann while he was happy, even if it would be a shorter period of time, than nag like an idiot, making sure he took his tablets and ate properly, while watching him become miserable living a slow death.

Johann opened his passenger side window. He tasted the salt air as they drove along the shore line. He watched the sun dance off the tips of unbroken waves making the ocean look like a sea of broken glass. He felt at peace with himself and where he was right now. Ignoring the pain in his stomach and chest, he decided he was going to make the most of this brief holiday.

They arrived and checked in at the Hotel Peninsula and were escorted to their suite. Johann was impressed.
“Wow! No holds barred! Way to go Tertia. I like your style.” Johann walked through the sunken lounge to the bar on the opposite side of the room.
“You fix us drinks. I’ll go and unpack ok?” Tertia smiled, walking into the bedroom.
“Sure. Thanks”
The bar had been cleverly situated in front of the big sliding French windows that opened onto a balcony overlooking the ocean. He rummaged through the cupboards and frowned when he realized there was no Chivas. His brow cleared when he found J&B brand whisky, deciding that would do. He fixed himself a whisky and Tertia, a vodka, lime and soda. Opening the French doors, he stepped on to the balcony.
The telephone rang bringing Tertia out of the bedroom.
“Hello?”
“Hey there Mrs. Pienaar. How you doing?”
“Oh! Rudi? Hi! We’re fine, got here a few minutes ago. Everything ok?”
“Ja, all’s well. Just thought I’d let you in on a little secret that’s taking place. So if Johann’s around you right now, just say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ ok?”
“Uh-huh” Tertia looked at Johann on the balcony. It seemed he hadn’t even heard the phone ring.
“We’ve planned a launch next Friday. The bust that you ordered for reception will be completed and delivered on Thursday afternoon. So what we want to do is have like, an opening day, we’ve invited selected press and let a couple of TV stations know, but Johann will be the guest of honour. So, I know I’m picking you up on Thursday around eleven in the morning. I thought you could get some rest and then I’ll pick you both up on Friday morning about ten. How’s that sound?”
“I’m not too keen on the idea of the TV people. Maybe you could lose them. But aside from that, I think it’s a brilliant idea Rudi. It sounds great.”
“Hmm, sorry, Tertia. I’m not going to lose the TV people now. It’s too late; you know what they’re like once they get wind of something. But don’t worry; it’ll be low key ok?”
“Great! Well done! How’s Tasmin by the way?”
“The procedures went well. She’s groggy, but looks like everything’s alright up to now. They’ll know better tomorrow if her body is going to accept or reject. I’ll let you know. I’ve got to dash right now; I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Cheers!”
“Thanks Rudi, bye!”

Johann and Tertia spent the afternoon sipping drinks on the balcony overlooking the sea. As the sun started its rapid decline towards the horizon, Tertia suggested they bathe and get changed for the evening’s show. They were going to see the highly acclaimed ‘African Footprint’ which they were both looking forward to since reading the rave international reviews. Tertia showered. Johann poured himself a luxuriously hot bubble bath, complaining he was too lazy to stand and wash. After languishing in the bath for half an hour, Johann eventually got out. He felt a strange weakness overcome his body. He grabbed a fluffy white towel and began drying himself while listening to Tertia humming softly to herself in the bedroom. Suddenly, nausea overtook him. He dropped to his knees at the toilet bowl and vomited till his stomach could cramp no tighter. Breathing heavily, he hoped Tertia had not heard him. Retching again and dispensing nothing but bile, he felt his bowels beginning to loosen. Panic set in as he looked around the bathroom; sure this was the last place he’d see. “Please don’t let me die in the bathroom!” He reversed his position on the toilet and held the nausea at bay while his bowels had their relief. Johann was unsure of how much time had passed when Tertia tapped the bathroom door.
“Did you drown in there?”
“I’ll be out in a minute, babes.”
“The driver is downstairs waiting for us.”
Johann lifted himself and climbed back in the bath water for yet another wash. He emerged from the bathroom and made a great show of deciding what to wear, with the hope that Tertia would grow impatient and choose for him. Truth be told, he hadn’t the energy to stand. His joints felt like water, he couldn’t control the shake in his body and he discovered, quick movement increased his nausea. He guessed correctly.
“It’s not like you brought that many clothes with you! Good Grief! Here, wear your navy suit with this white T-shirt underneath, how’s that?”
“What about a jersey?” Johann asked trying to hide his shiver.
“Are you cold? Johann? Are you all right?”
“I’m fine, just feeling the fresh sea air.” Tertia looked at him as a doctor would a patient.
“Are you sure?”
“Ja! I’m sure! Just pass me my clothes and let me get dressed!” Johann yelled impatiently. Tertia threw the hanger at him holding his suit, together with a T-shirt and woolen waistcoat. She then stormed out of the bedroom.
Twice, while dressing, Johann returned to the bathroom to retch uncontrollably.

On the way to the theatre, Johann fought back the urge to snap and tried to eradicate his feelings of anger, which he’d deduced, were due to fear.
“Ok, look. I’m sorry for snapping at you Tertia. I know you were only trying to help. I’m just happy relaxing. I am looking forward to the show. I’m just feeling a little weak. Do you forgive me?”
“You’re weak; because you’re drunk Johann. You haven’t eaten a thing since last night!”
“I’m not drunk! It doesn’t seem like I can get drunk lately. I promise I’ll eat tomorrow”
“You better! I warn you. I’m not always so nice to be around.” The humorous glint had returned to Tertia’s eye.
“Yes boss!” Johann chuckled. Relieved.

The show was terrific. A musically told tale of the history of South Africa and its colourful people. Johann discovered happily, that as long as he wasn’t moving he didn’t feel nausea. He allowed the show to take over his mind and relaxed sipping slowly on a Chivas and ice that lasted him the duration of the performance. Once the show was over, he found himself dreading the car trip back to the hotel and all the movement, ‘going home’ would involve. He was quiet on the return journey. Willing himself onto a different plane. Ignoring Cape Town and Tertia. After what seemed an eternity, they arrived back in their hotel room. Johann immediately took off his clothes, racing for the bathroom, before Tertia could notice the sweat trickling down his face and neck. He emerged ten minutes later to Tertia begging to be allowed to use the toilet.
“Take your time why don’t you!?” Tertia growled as they passed each other in the doorway. Johann collapsed into the huge king size bed and immediately started shivering with cold. He snuggled further down under the covers and put a pillow on top of his head. Johann had drifted into a deep sleep before Tertia left the bathroom.

Tasmin was calling him. Her voice, high and clear. He couldn’t see her. He didn’t know which direction to go in. His hands were held out in front of him as if clearing away the dense, white fog. He called to her. Straining his ears to pick up the direction her voice was coming from.
“Johann! Please come and see me! Look at me! Up here!”
Above me? Her voice is coming from above me?” Johann looked up and saw a clear round hole in the fog. Through it he could see a patch of brilliant blue sky. He felt the warmth from the sun heat up his body, inside and out. He smiled up at the sky. Suddenly, the blue patch turned dark and Tasmin’s head filled the space. Enlarged to the size of a small planet, her oversized eyes burnt down into his. He shielded his eyes with his arm, but continued to look up. Her face was distorted in anger and hate. A huge finger came out of the sky, prodding him in the stomach. The force of the prod left him sitting on the pavement. There were still swirls of thick white fog skittering around him. A sound like thunder boomed as he looked around. Slowly he looked back up, fearful of what he would see. Tasmin was still staring down at him expectantly. He threw his hands up, “What?! What is it Tasmin?” The thunder boomed again. He stood up, no longer afraid of the over large Tasmin. Angry himself he yelled. “Why are you shouting at me? I can’t hear you, you’re so loud!”
“YOU SAID WE HAD TO HELP EACH OTHER! WHERE ARE YOU? YOU LET ME DOWN!” Tasmin bellowed back at him. He froze on the spot and hung his head almost in shame. Looking back up, fear coursed through his body as Tasmin’s face suddenly burst out of the circular patch of sky and began rushing down towards him. He could clearly see her demented expression still filled with complete hatred, becoming larger and larger……..”
***

XXII
Heart To Heart

Johann awoke with the familiar start. This time something was different. The sweat was there, oh yes! But he couldn’t feel his body. He opened his eyes. His vision was filled with white light. He tried to turn onto his side, finding he didn’t have the strength to do this. He called out to Tertia.
“Tertia? Are you here? Tertia?” Tertia’s face appeared in his line of vision, eerily reminding him of his dream.
“Hi there. How are you feeling?” He noted how tired and drained she looked.
“I’m not sure. Where are we? What happened?”
“We’re in a private clinic in Greenpoint. I tried to wake you yesterday morning. You didn’t respond. The hotel called a doctor who said your pulse was weak and assessed your body was in some kind of shock. So you were admitted here. That was yesterday morning.”
“What time is it now?” Johann asked, amazed at the passage of time.
“It’s a little after three in the afternoon.” She turned her face away from him.
“Can I get you anything? Water, food?” She asked flatly.
“Water would be good. Thanks. Tertia?” He sensed there was something she wasn’t telling him. She held a paper cup to his lips and supported his head forward to allow him a few sips of water.
“What’s wrong? What aren’t you telling me?”
Tertia sat down and sighed.
“Tertia! Please. Do me a favour, I can’t see you. Can you raise this bed or something or help me turn over so I can see you?”
“I can help raise the bed, but you can’t turn over. You’ve got too many pipes in you. I don’t want any of them getting blocked or trapped. Hang on a minute.” Tertia moved to the side of the bed and worked out which wheels raised the head of the bed. Amidst much puffing and panting, she managed to raise Johann into a reclined position. Once Johann was raised, he looked down at his arms and saw the various drips he had been plugged into. He turned to Tertia who was seated back in her chair looking glum.
“Now. Please tell me why the long face?” Tertia seemed to be struggling with what to say. Her hand flew to her brow, her fingers rubbing viciously, as if impatient with a headache.
“Nothing’s wrong Johann.” She said her hand slapping back down on her thigh.
“I’m tired, is all. I’ve been at your bedside for, I don’t know how long now and I’ve had no real sleep.” She gave him a wan smile.
“For goodness sake! Go back to the Hotel and get some sleep! I don’t want you keeping such a strict vigil at my bedside. You’ll end up sick yourself..-” Johann stopped short as he felt a crushing pain in his chest, making him battle to breathe in. He clutched a hand to his chest and his face wrinkled in pain.
“What’s wrong?” Tertia stood nervously looking him over.
“Pain….in here…..Can’t seem to breathe….uh”
“Relax. Try not to force it. Just breathe in gently and slowly. They said this may happen. I’ll call the nurse and tell her she should bring you an oxygen mask.” Tertia ran down the passage to the nurse’s station and frantically explained what was happening to Johann. Two nurses trotted off immediately to Johann’s room. Tertia stood looking after them. She didn’t want to go back just yet.
“You look like you need a coffee. Can I make you one?” A pleasant nurse, just entering the station was smiling saintly at Tertia.
“God Ja. I’d love one! Thanks.”
“Why don’t you sit yourself down in that big comfy chair over there and I’ll bring it to you?” She was pointing to a small reception area, with large puffy couches and a glass table bearing old copies of medical journals and ‘YOU’ magazines. Tertia looked longingly at the large puffy couches. Walking across, she flopped into one. She shook off her shoes and rested her feet on the coffee table oblivious of manners at this stage.

“Here you are. Do you mind if I join you? It’s my break.” The young nurse set a large mug in front of Tertia and sat down opposite her. Tertia was thrilled to see the mug, having expected a formal cup and saucer which she hated. No sooner had you sipped the coffee and it was finished.
“Thank you. Please do join me. I’m Tertia Pienaar by the way. Nice to meet you” Tertia leant forward and extended her hand.
“Hi, I’m Susie. Nice to meet you too. You look so sick and tired; I’m surprised you’re not in one of our beds?”
“It’s been a rough couple of days. I think it’s going to get rougher.” Tertia took a sip of her coffee and relished the hot, strong, sweet taste.
“Do you want to tell me about it?” Susie asked furtively.
“The question is, do you want to hear it?” Tertia chuckled.
“Of course, I’m naturally a nosy person, fire away!” Susie’s eyes were full of humour and understanding. Tertia decided she would unload on this saintly lady. She found herself pouring out Johann’s and her story, starting from two years earlier.

“There you are Mr. Pienaar. Much more comfortable now hey?” The nurse had finished setting up an oxygen canister and placed the mask over his nose and mouth. She had also lowered the bed slightly and fluffed up Johann’s pillows. Johann nodded his agreement. A cellular phone began ringing and both the nurse and Johann looked around the room for the offending noise. Johann spotted Tertia’s handbag on the floor underneath the chair she had occupied. He pulled the oxygen mask down.
“Would you mind fishing that phone out of Tertia’s handbag and passing it to me please?” His breathing was laboured. The air in his lungs used up with such a long sentence. He slipped the oxygen mask back on while the nurse obliged.
“Here you go” She said handing the phone to Johann. He slipped his mask off again.
“Hello?”
“Hello! Johann! I was looking for Tertia, but I’m so glad I got you instead! It’s me! Tasmin! Guess what?!”
“Hi Tasmin!” Johann tried to sound as chipper as possible.
“I can’t guess. Tell me!”
“I’m all better! The doctor’s have said I can go home next week! I’m so excited. I can’t believe I’m all better! I can go back to school and play with my brother and friends and do all normal things!” Johann swallowed a sob and sent out a silent prayer of thanks as his eyes filled with tears of relief.
“See Tasmin. I told you!” He wanted to say more, wanted to share in her excitement. He didn’t’ trust his voice to hold. The wave of relief had left him shaky and light headed.
“When are you coming home Johann? I want to see you before I leave the hospital.”
“Well, we were supposed to leave tomorrow. So I guess we will see you in the next few days.”
“This is a great hospital Johann. When you come back, I want you to come here. They can fix anybody here, then you can home to our house for supper and bring Tertia and tell me who your favourite nurses and Doctor’s are and I bet we like the same ones!” Johann was still fighting the lump in his throat.
“Ok, Tasmin. I’ll be there soon ok? Well done for being such a brave, strong girl. I miss you. We’ll see you soon ok?”
“Ok! Miss you too! Say Hi to Tertia for me. Bye!” Johann dropped the cell phone onto his blankets. He lay back against the pillows and allowed himself to cry like a baby.

Two hours flew past. Tertia felt stronger after her heart to heart with Susie. She had showered Tertia with sympathetic praises and good wishes. She worked hard to convince Tertia that no matter what outcome would follow this recent stage of Johann’s hospitalization, she had single handedly assisted Johann in a terrific achievement. As Tertia made her way back to Johann’s room, she told herself she must try and be more cheerful. Who knew how much more time Johann had left? It wouldn’t do to be miserable and moody around him. She fixed a smile on her face and entered his room.

The sight of Johann hooked up to all his tubes, together with the oxygen mask strapped to his face, made Tertia suck in her breath. It all seemed to highlight Johann’s sudden frailty. His recent weight loss was noticeable and right now, he looked for all the world, like an eighty year old man. He was awake. Tertia pulled her chair closer to his bedside.
“Hi sexy, how you feeling?” She asked with a smile. Johann dropped his mask to his chest.
“I’ve been better. Tasmin phoned.” Johann put his mask back on.
“Really? And, how is she?” Johann nodded and pulled the mask down again.
“The Doctors say she’s good. They’re letting her go home next week.” The mask was back on again.
“Terrific! Excellent news. I do like a good ending.” The mask was lowered.
“So do I. Please will you get me some writing paper and envelopes?”
“Of course, Johann. What do you want to write? Can I help you?”
“Ja. You can. Today though.”
“I’ll go and get some now then.” Tertia picked up her handbag and left.
***
XXIII The Sign Of Life

“I don’t know Tertia. I’m not sure I’ll make it through this time. I need to do this just in case I don’t make it. There are some things I need to explain. So if I dictate, will you write for me?”
“Of course I will Johann. I just think you’re being a bit previous, but I suppose if it’s something you feel you should do then it’s one less thing to worry about. Fire away!” Tertia smiled at him. Pen poised and ready to write. It was a slow process due to Johann’s breathing. They worked through the night. Finally at four ‘o’clock in the morning. Tertia sealed the last envelope with a heavy heart and wrote the address Johann gave on the front. She put the envelopes in her handbag and stood up stretching.
“I’ll mail all these later. First I’m going to grab a couple of hours sleep on a gorgeous couch in reception. She leant over Johann, seeing the exhaustion in his eyes; she placed a gentle kiss on his cheek and said “Sleep tight. See you later my love.”

Johann fell asleep immediately. “He found himself walking through dense woods. It was night time. He didn’t know what he was looking for until he saw a glint in the distance. “Ah,” he thought. “There it is!” He waded through trees and overgrown foliage until he thought he was at the spot where the twinkle had come from. Dropping to his knees his hands began digging through the earth. Shifting dead leaves and empty insect shells about in the loose dirt, he felt a rising panic at not finding the all consuming glint. Johann Looked up in desperation. There! A few feet ahead of him, a twinkle, just once, brought him upright on his feet striding the few feet distance to the twinkle. Once again. Nothing but dead leaves and dirt. “Damn!” He thought “I can’t get out of these woods unless I get that key.” He stood again, hands on hips. The importance of the ‘key’ was tantamount to him escaping the woods and it was teasing him! He walked ahead, aware that he was traveling deeper and deeper into the heart of the forest. Almost as he finished the thought, it suddenly made sense that the key would be in the heart of the forest. He set off at a greater, more confident speed. He reached a clearing and was surprised at the smooth slab of stone he found in the middle of a circle of trees. The moon shone brightly down through the clearing and illuminated the stone slab. There were markings on the slab and as he drew nearer, dropping to his knees, his mind grappled for forgotten information. He knew this symbol, but couldn’t remember its meaning. A snake coiled around a sword, what was that again? He stood looking for clues as he scratched his head in thought. Then looking up at the moon he saw the twinkling again. It was falling from the sky straight towards him. He raised his hand, more to protect his head than anything else and was childishly surprised at himself when he caught the twinkling jewel. On inspection, he discovered he was holding a solid silver, gem encrusted version of the same sign embossed on the slab he was standing on. It came to him in a flash. “It’s the symbol for the Sign of Life!” He suddenly felt lighter and happier than he had in years. As he clutched the jewel to his chest enjoying the complete relief it gave him, the sun came out and he was standing in the Garden of Eden.

The Blue Train pulled into Johannesburg station at precisely twelve-thirty-eight. Rudi, true to his word was waiting like a sentry. Tertia gave him a quick impersonal hug as she disembarked from the train. Rudi grabbed Johann’s and Tertia’s suitcases and marched through the station to the car. It had been a long tiring journey back and Tertia found herself dozing in the back seat of the car. It felt like five minutes later that Rudi was shaking her awake, telling her she was home.
“Do you still want me to pick you up tomorrow morning?”
“Oh, Ja Rudi, can you?”
“Sure. I’ll give you a missed call when I get here all right?”
“Thanks Rudi. Have a good day. Oh! And, Rudi? Could I ask you a favour please?”
“Anything Tertia. Anything.” Tertia fumbled in her handbag and drew out a stack of envelopes.
“Please would you post these for us?”
“No problem. I’ll do it right now.”
“Thank you. See you in the morning.”

Tertia woke early. Dressing appropriately in a simple, tan trouser suit, she paced the floor waiting for Rudi to arrive. She was dreading this with all her heart and just wanted it over and done with. Finally, she heard her cell phone ring once in her handbag. Picking it up, she strode out of the door and into the car. They arrived at The Johann Pienaar HIV/AIDS and Cancer Clinic. Tertia stepped out of the car glancing furtively at the open reception doors. She took a deep steadying breath and walked in.

“Here they are!” Nurses huddled together in a bunch around the reception area. Admin staff and Doctors alike, all holding plates containing small appetizing pastries, sipping from glasses filled with fresh fruit juice. In the centre of the floor space, was a mound covered in green felt. It stood about a metre tall. The felt covered it from top to toe. In a wheelchair, beside the covered mound, was Tasmin. Clasping her hands excitedly, her eyes were twinkling, barely containing her delight. She was casting knowing glances at Doctor Kolling, who was protectively standing next to her.

Tertia entered to a barrage of cheers and congratulations. Her eyes sought out and found Tasmin immediately. She beamed and walked across to Tasmin. Kneeling down she gave her a kiss and a tight hug.
“Hi there brave girl!”
“Hi! I’ve been waiting for this all week. I’m dying to see what’s under this cover, where’s Johann? Tell him to hurry up and come inside so we can all see it.”
“Ah, well! Tasmin, I think we can make you happy here. We will uncover this right now and put you out of your misery, how’s that?”
“No! Johann’s got to be here too! I want him to see whatever it is, and then maybe he’ll believe this is a really good hospital and he’ll come here instead.”
“Tasmin, my darling. I have some news for you. First of all, I want you to understand something. Your friend Johann is Johann Pienaar. He built this hospital and you were the young lady who inspired him to do it. Tasmin gasped. A broad smile crossed her face.
“I knew it was his! He wouldn’t tell me. Why?”
“Because you’re a wonderful girl and you have a grand future in front of you. Johann obviously saw this very clearly. Tertia was dimly aware of the camera flashes going off around her. She made a mental note that it was time to do the unveiling and then the press could go.
“I can’t wait to show you what’s underneath here. So I’m going to do this now ok?” Tertia stood and signaled a passing waiter for a glass of fruit juice. Taking a pen out of her handbag, she gently tapped the edge of the glass drawing everybody’s attention.
“Hello everybody and thank you very much for coming here today. We are standing here today inside one man’s dream. In fact this hospital has practically been built with the blood, sweat and tears of one man. Johann Pienaar, recognized a need in this country for a cheap, yet professional healthcare system. Addressing almost totally, firstly, children’s cancer, thanks to young Tasmin here……” Tertia motioned towards a smiling Tasmin and cameras flashed. “….Who I’m happy to announce……. Is now cured!” A round of applause went up. “And secondly, HIV/AIDS, which as we all know, is ruling our country at the moment, from ground level right up to Executive level. There has never been a more appropriate time for such a hospital, or a greater need. Indeed, we sincerely hope that Mr. Johann Pienaar has set a precedent that fellow wealthy executives and business men of this country, would do well to follow. I hereby announce The Johann Pienaar HIV/AIDS and Cancer Clinic officially open!” Amongst much applause and camera flashes, Tertia grabbed the green felt and pulled it off revealing a beautiful stone carved bust of Johann Pienaar.
“Oooh!” Tasmin held up her hands in delight. “It’s Johann! It’s brilliant! Oh, Tertia, please let him come in now, please? He has to see this!”
Tertia tried to ignore Tasmin’s pleas, gauging when the press would leave.
“Tertia! Please?” Tertia dropped to her knees once more, looking around her, making sure she wasn’t the centre of attention. She faced Tasmin.
“Tasmin. I know you’re a brave girl, you’ve already beaten cancer. Now I need you to be brave again, sweetheart. I’m sorry, but Johann didn’t make it, honey. He passed away on Wednesday. I want you to remember something. Johann gave his life shamelessly in order to save many other sick people, just like you were. This clinic has enough funding to keep running for the next five years! Isn’t that amazing? Tasmin, you were the friend who inspired him to do this. You were so important to him that he made you his clinic’s first patient. Please, be proud that you helped him create this, Tasmin. Through his death, many more people will live.
“No.” Tasmin whispered, hanging her head. A large tear drop rolled down her cheek and fell in her lap. Doctor Kolling moved quickly to her side. He gave Tertia a knowing glance and an encouraging wink.
“Tasmin, he gave me something for you.” Tertia fished in her handbag and drew out the final envelope. Handing it to Tasmin, she looked into the young girls tear filled eyes and recognized the hurt in them. Feeling her own eyes tear up, she stood and sought out Rudi.
“Oh God, I can’t stand this anymore Rudi. Poor Tasmin. I can’t help her any further.
“Don’t worry, look…” Rudi said, pointing. “Her parents are here. You’re relieved from duty” Tasmin’s elegant mother was standing behind Tasmin’s chair, massaging her shoulders while Tasmin read the letter Johann had left her. At this point, tears were flowing freely down Tasmin’s face dropping on to the pages she read. Tertia had to look away. The smile she’d forced onto her face had long since left. Mentally she was counting sheep until she could leave. Glancing back at Tasmin, Tertia saw she had reached the end of the letter. She watched as Tasmin carefully folded the pages and handed the letter to her mother. With what looked like a great effort, Tasmin pushed herself up from her wheelchair drawing interest from several people who had not five minutes earlier, seen her crying like her heart would break. Slowly she stepped up to the stone bust of Johann Pienaar, wrapped her small arms around its neck and kissed the cold face, whispering “Thank you, from all of us”
*****
END





© Copyright 2006 Leighoire (UN: leighoire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Leighoire has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/439993-No-Assistance-Necessary-Part-IV