*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/457863
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097072
For the rest of my Writer's Cramp Entries
#457863 added January 18, 2008 at 10:06am
Restrictions: None
Apathy
Written for the "Invalid Item Contest
Prompt: Apathy

_____________

Push aside the curtain of torrid sandstorms, revealing faces behind veils, the bearded ones, innocent visages of children running past men with rifles. Hollers, screams, cries of terror. Gunshots. An occasional explosion rips through the air. A bloodbath unlike anything we have ever seen. There are bodies now, sprawled all over the streets like a grotesque work of art. There are the wailing women over their dead husbands, the sobbing children clinging to what’s left of their sanity. Men in uniforms, nod in satisfaction at a job well done. They are only fighting for our freedom after all. They are pleased that the public will appreciate their efforts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The public walks past the images, on cell phones making deals at a mile-a-minute. The public wonders what movies will be playing at the latest Cineplex at seven-fifty p.m. They can’t afford to get horrible seats at the next basketball game. Dinner’s not yet prepared and the children are getting irritated, driving mothers crazy with last minute shopping, hoping to get things ready before fathers come home. The public needs the latest gadgets, the hottest trends, the in-things. Too many things to do, so little time.

With a collective sigh, the public finally picks up the remote control and changes the channel. The whole war thing was beginning to get boring anyway.



© Copyright 2008 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/457863