*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/472453
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#472453 added December 1, 2006 at 7:46pm
Restrictions: None
The Stranger
Written for the "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a story containing these three items: strawberries, trench coat, and a goldfish named Louie.

_______________________

There is a man in a trench coat watching me from across the street. With a fedora on his head and a cigar between his lips, he puffs and lets out a cloud of smoke which mingles with the light drizzle.

I suck on some strawberries, keeping watch behind the curtains. My fingers dance across my telephone, an eternal debate raging within me.

To call or not to call? That is the question. I’ll wait another hour and see what he’s up to. For if he plans to kill me, I’ll be more than ready.

I run to the kitchen, checking for the sharpest of knives. I tuck it in my waistband and run back to stand guard. My heart leaps to my throat as he finally leaves his position. I wonder if he’s spotted me as he walks briskly across the street. There’s something bulging in his jacket. It’s a gun! It’s got to be! I hold my breath and watch the door, waiting for that tell-tale ding-dong.

In no time it comes as loud as a church’s bell on Death Knoll, and trembling, I force feet as heavy as lead to move. I look through the peep hole, but his back is turned to me.

“Who are you?” I call out shakily, knife in hand as I open the lock. He pulls out an object from his jacket, slowly, carefully, perhaps not wanting to make a sound as he hopes to extinguish this life of mine.

“Dear God,” he cries in alarm as I leap towards him. “Be careful, Mrs. Davis, or you’ll smash your goldfish Louie, who is, thank goodness, as healthy as can be.”

I blush in embarrassment as I finally notice who it is. Why, it’s just the veterinarian, Dr. Heath, delivering my precious pet!

Word Count: 300

© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/472453