*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/477082
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #1062373
NO more humor... just more tragic, sad, sick, twisted goings ons - Sorry
#477082 added December 25, 2006 at 11:35am
Restrictions: None
Medical Care: Few of us could ever afford
Life isn't fair - that's a fact.

“It's not what you know, but who you know.” Most of the time that aforementioned statement is as true a fact as my first statement - Life isn't fair.

Surely we all know who Dr. Michael E. DeBakey is, don't we? Even if his name escapes us, surely we all know about his life's work.

YOU need to read the following:

The Doctor’s World
The Man on the Table Was 97, but He Devised the Surgery

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/25/health/25surgeon.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=...

***


In a perfect world, everyone would be treated equally - with the same care and concern as Dr. Michael DeBakey - but it's not a perfect world, is it?

FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES

Because of his life's work, because of his success at his life's work - Dr. DeBakey knew the people that could save him... but would they? Could they?

It's been said that a lawyer that has himself for a client is a fool - so too it should be said that the Doctor that is his own patient is a fool. It was amazing to read that Dr. DeBakey didn’t act or react to his own medical problems much better than others of us - who also hesitate to go to the hospital. I’m sure Dr. DeBakey was not worried about the costs…

In the end, it was his learned family, friends, and colleagues that risked the medical procedure that would give 97 year-old Dr. DeBakey more time on this Earth. Me, I still believe it just was not his time to go - but go he would have had he not received the medical care he did.

In so many ways, I certainly do not begrudge Dr. DeBakey the life saving medical care he received. Dr. DeBakey has saved countless numbers of lives, not just physically with his own hands, but by and with the medical procedures he's developed and shared over his life-time so other doctors' could save lives and many more didn't have to die needlessly.

***


Life isn't fair.

The garbage men who pick up Dr. DeBakey's and so many others trash will never receive near the level of care Dr. DeBakey received, and neither will most anybody else either - for me, that’s the shame of deliberated medical care, really.

On different levels and at far different pay scales medical treatment will most likely always be doled out based on something other than the fact that every person's life is precious... that a person's contributions, in this case to the medical profession, affords extraordinary medical treatment at extraordinary costs, but never will garbage men, lawn care professionals, dishwashers, cooks or chefs, waitresses, college students, enlisted military personnel, or ever lowly writer ever hope for such heroic, extreme medical care.

Still there is still the possibility of a smidgen of hope… maybe? America does offer Medicare and Medicad. This type of medical insurance is just not available in so many other countries.

STILL, THEY HESITATED BECAUSE OF HIS AGE

What I find is of special note concerning Dr. DeBakey’s medical care, is that he has personally demonstrated for all of us that older folks, seniors if you will, can benefit from good medical care. In this day and time, with all our knowledge and technology it seems that Senior Citizens are not generally treated as people that still have value.

The older I get, and the more health problems I develop over time – the more likely it is that a committee will not rule in my favor, and that’s if they even bother to call a committee meeting. That possibility really SUCKS!



© Copyright 2006 The Critic (UN: thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Critic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/477082