*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505851-Did-you-see-that
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#505851 added May 3, 2007 at 11:33am
Restrictions: None
Did you see that???
The news yesterday (and Yahoo's front page today) reminded us that if stay-at-home moms were paid for all the jobs they do, they'd make $138,095. That's an increase of 3% over last year.

They list that these jobs that moms do: housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist.

I think they've missed some things. What about gardener? And...activities director, appointment secretary, lifeguard, teacher (all moms are teachers, not just those who home school). In the summer, aren't they the trip planners and tour guides? And navigator if the dad is driving? Sure we have those navigational devices now, but they're not always accurate. *Smile*

She's also a great knee kisser and all around hugger, right? (Not to mention nose blower. *Laugh*) Of course, she's like a home health aide when everyone else in the house is down sick.

The news item also said that those moms who work outside the home should be paid a full $85,939 in addition to her job's wages, for the work she does at home.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that men don't do a share of work in the home. Nope, I'm just not saying that at all. *Smile* But I remember reading once that dads who work outside the home should be paid an extra $17,000 or so for the work they do at home. Big difference.

And, I'm certainly not saying that dads cannot have the role of the stay-at-home-parent. I have a cousin who did just that, back when it wasn't very popular. (He's about 8 years older than I am, I think.)

But there is a difference in having a stay-at-home mom and a stay-at-home dad is this, at least in the instances I've seen. When the work day is over and the working mom comes home, the stay-at-home-dad hangs up his apron and becomes like every other dad. The working mom becomes like every other working mom, taking over everything as soon as she hits the front door.

The study did not show what a housewife without kids would be worth, but it's not hard to see that there is definitely value. *Smile* I guess that's why I get feeling down about what I can and cannot do in the house anymore. I see what needs done and just cannot do it.

When I was a regional sales director, I always recommended to my sales reps - many of whom also had full time jobs and had children at home - that they use some of the extra money they earned to hire help with cleaning. Those who did that were always happy that they did.

I was working in my first job in retail management - long, long ago - when my boss first suggested that every working woman should hire help with housekeeping, even if it was only once a month. Personally, I think that's an excellent idea and never wasted money.

I have considered having someone come in and clean our house, since I'm not very able any more and hubby's aches and pains are worse at night than during the day. (Besides, a man never sees what a woman sees! *Bigsmile*) But you know...I'm like most other women. I'd have to clean the house before the cleaning lady got here. *Laugh*


Suggested Bible readings today:
Matthew 2:1-22, Acts 1:12-26, Psalms 3-4, Genesis 4-7


Warning! Health stuff coming...

Pain level: 6
That's a bit higher than yesterday.

Energy: 2
I feel a nap coming on. *Bigsmile* Just being at the church office for a few hours on Wednesdays makes me awfully tired on Thursdays. I wonder...can I find a paying job that's only 4 hours a week? That seems to be my tolerance level.

Mood: 4
The sky is gray and it looks like rain. I guess that could have something to do with my elevated pain level, as well as my lower mood level. Hmmm.

Digestive:
Pain is minimal today. Tender to the touch a bit, though. And my IBS is active. *Smile*

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505851-Did-you-see-that