*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506344-Saturday-Sludge
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#506344 added May 5, 2007 at 12:23pm
Restrictions: None
Saturday Sludge
Okay, okay, so maybe it isn't sludge. But doncha just love that word???*Laugh**Laugh**Laugh**Laugh*

I'll admit that it will be a hodge-podge, though. Another great word. I think I love words as much as I love pondering about them. *Bigsmile*

Anyway...

I almost finished cleaning the kitchen yesterday. Hey, that's a big accomplishment. Or almost accomplishment. Our kitchen is big enough - well, sort of - to have in it: a dining room table (without the big leaf in the middle) and four chairs, a china closet, book shelves, my computer desk and computer, plus the normal refrigerator and stove and sink and cabinets and counter space. And it's big enough - definitely - to accumulate lots and lots of junk. *Smile* So, almost getting it spiffed up in the midst of fibro pains, fibro fog, and a computer that calls to me is something. *Laugh*

While I was cleaning the microwave oven (I wonder who splattered?), I had some thoughts about being rich and poor. I did rush to my computer and put a note in my blog, marked private, with the words rich and poor. Trouble is that now I cannot remember what in the world were he other more complete thoughts. Grrr. That makes me so mad. Here I thought I was being smart just putting a shorthand note down.

I did come across some "better" paper towels while I was sorting things. They came from my storage unit in Texas. You know the ones. I think they're Viva. I love how they feel and work. I just don't love their prices. I think back in Texas, because I was dealing with so many things alone - my son's long spell with mono, then depression and his brief experiments with drugs, plus my pain management for my back, then my knee surgery and physical therapy, then dealing with Worker's Comp and attorneys - that buying the "nice" paper towels was one way for me not to feel so poor. Or beaten down.

That was one thought that crossed my mind as I cleaned the microwave. But I don't think that's why I rushed to the computer to make a note. I guess if it comes back to me, I'll write about it then.



Earlier today, the local news folks had two things that I made note of to share here.

Remember when I wrote about the death of the 3 year old foster child a while back? The one whose foster parents had tied him up and left him in a closet while they went out of town for a family reunion? The poor boy died, then they pretended he had been lost in the park. (They had at least partially burned the body and buried it.) They have finally been sent to prison and Marcus was finally buried this week.

Some local talent wrote a song about Marcus Feisel and recorded it. It's not my kind of music, but here's the link if you'd like to listen:

http://www.myspace.com/tssw


Also in the news was information about a University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music student's tribute song to the families of the April 16 Virginia Tech shooting victims. The song/video is on YouTube and has received over 280,000 hits. This music is much more to my liking. *Smile* I think it's called, "No Sunset in Virginia." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0hdZeK7ss


The other thing that I wanted to pass along was that in one of the writing newsletters I received this week, the publisher said that she had signed this petition. It seems that the Atlanta Journal Constitution has decided to to eliminate its book editor position—and, possibly, its book review section.

The petition says, "The AJC's book section is one of the best-edited literary pages in the country. It provides Atlanta, which ranks #15 on the University of Wisconsin’s list of most literate cities in the U.S., with a powerful and necessary cultural dialogue. Under the astute guidance of the section’s editor Teresa Weaver, the books page has demonstrated an admirable commitment to both literature and nonfiction works which have grappled with some of America's most complicated issues and themes."

I'm not so sure that internet petitions work, but here's the URL. You also might want to write to the newspaper editor(s). http://www.petitiononline.com/atl2007/petition.html


I hate to think that anyone is serious about getting rid of the book review part of any large US newspaper. Personally, no matter how much one can read on a computer screen, it's just not like curling up with a book.

I have trouble reading long works, even here at WDC, myself. If I do, I have to stop and rest my eyes quite a bit. With a real book in my hands, I can read and read and read until I've finished the entire book. *Smile*

Perhaps having a laptop would help. But could it - and an e-book - really join me for a walk in the woods? Or by the shore? And they're just a bit bulky to cuddle up with in bed.

Call me old fashioned, I guess, but I like having a book in my hands. And on my shelves. Hubby and I - and my son - could probably have an entire library room filled, if all of our books were displayed. *Smile*

Guess that's it for now.

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506344-Saturday-Sludge