*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/507083-Whats-in-the-name
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1101898
For every dark cloud, there is a silver lining. Does anyone has change for mine?
#507083 added May 8, 2007 at 8:03pm
Restrictions: None
What's in the name?
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(1828-1914)
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

He was a Bowdoin College professor. Then he joined the union army in the Civil War.
At the battle of Gettysburg, he commanded the regiment that held the extreme left flank on Little Round Top. In the thick of battle, his regiment was against a full division of the Southern Army. After his men had used up all the bullets, instead of retreating, he ordered a charge. By doing that, he and his men saved the battle. That battle was believed to be turning point of the Civil War. Because of the outcome of this battle, the Southern Army lost the strength to overun the North, and therefore lost its chance to win the war.
For this service, Chamberlain was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

But that is not the reason that I honor him here. In April of 1865, Chamberlain was selected by General Grant to receive the formal surrender of arms and colors of General Lee's Southern Army. On that day, he made history.

On April 12, Confederate General John B. Gordon and his soldiers were met by Chamberlain and the Fifth Corps at Appomattox. Upon their arrival, the Confederates were astonished to be honorably welcomed by the marching salute. This gracious reception prompted Gordon and his soldiers to salute Chamberlain and his men in return.

Chamberlain ordered the salute on his own. The victor honored the defeated. He honored the people that a week before had almost killed him in an ambush.

It is way beyond a grand gesture. This is an understanding. When the war was fought among brothers, there was no glory in victory, there were no victors, only beaten brothers.

By honoring them, he was honoring the sad truth.

He was the true and only hero in my book.

And I honor him by using part of his name as my screen name.

© Copyright 2007 JoshCham (UN: joshcham at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JoshCham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/507083-Whats-in-the-name