*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/507592
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #964073
Just because someone can't be seen, doesn't mean they're unimportant.
#507592 added May 10, 2007 at 10:05pm
Restrictions: None
Island
What the hell is wrong with you? A weary voice inturrupted the young woman's thoughts.

"What kind of question is that?" the young woman wanted to know. "You're not 'Her', or even 'Him'. What makes you think you talk to me that way?"

Cut the crap kid, there's not much time and you know it. Quit playing games. The voice was female, but tougher than her own. Harsher and rasper around the edges. But yet she knew it well.

"I don't play games. I just don't tell eveything I know."

That's a game. And it's a pretty damn pointless one. Not being honest about your capabilities? A game. Not following through with your goals? A game. Being too damn quiet all the time when you're burning to say what's on your mind? A very serious game.

"And what if I reach those remarkably high standards you set for me, and people don't like me, or change their opinion about me?"

The voice sighed. Where are you right now?

The young woman cocked her head to the side. "That's a stupid question. I'm sitting right here in my room, having a stupid conversation with-"

No. You're on an island.

"What the hell are you getting at?"

When you talk to your friends, do you tell them everything? Do you tell them what you really think? What you really believe in?

"Of course not. But no one tells everyone everything. That would be dumb."

The voice sighed as if the young woman was as thick-headed as an ox. How often do you speak with your friends? How often do you see them? Do you have a lover?

The young woman giggled at the word loever. "What are you, eighty?"

I hope for all our sakes that you take my questions seriously. Please answer me.

"All right. I talk to my friends maybe once every two months. We hang out whenever. and I don't have a boyfriend." The young woman shrugged. "How is that being on an island?"

You're on an island. And you occasionally get visitors who come to party. And then you're alone again? Isn't that right?

"Whatever. I'm perfectly fine not having people all up in my business."

You can lie to anyone else. Anyone else, but me.

© Copyright 2007 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/507592