*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/509628-The-Broadcast-Networks-Keep-Making-The-Same-Mistake
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1241026
Thoughts on things from the news, TV, radio, and daily life that hit home with me.
#509628 added May 19, 2007 at 5:24pm
Restrictions: None
The Broadcast Networks Keep Making The Same Mistake
         You read me right. The “Big 4” broadcast networks’ lack of good judgment will cost them big time, and, to a point, already has. More than once. And they can't seem to catch on the reason.
         Every few months, we read, see, or hear one or more of them complaining about the loss of viewership they are experiencing. How so many people are turning more to cable and satellite TV and away from them. But as far as I’m concerned, one of the biggest reasons for the trend is something that those same networks have been doing for years, which means that they are bringing much of this viewer loss on themselves.
         What am I referring to? The way they handle many of their shows now, and have for quite some time. Here are two outstanding, recent examples.
         About three years ago, they brought us a wonderful new series, called Commander In Chief, starring Geena Davis. As far as my wife and I were concerned, it was one of the best shows any network had found in recent years, and we looked forward to it every week. It was well cast, especially with award winning actor Donald Sutherland as Ms. Davis’ main adversary. Every major cast member seemed to be ready made for the role they filled. The show was well written, well acted, and more. It was one of the highlights of our week.
         Then, a little into the second season of the show, they pulled it for a few weeks to highlight another new show or something. When it returned a few weeks later, we heard it could be cancelled. We went to the ABC’s website, to post our thoughts along with those of countless other viewers, that they should keep the show. When we got there, we found the forum for those comments had been changed to read only. You could read every previous viewer’s statement and thoughts for keeping the show, but not add your own. I knew then it would be gone. And it was. What really hurt? It was likely not on the air long enough to be considered for sale on a DVD like many hit shows are. But I for one would buy every episode if they will put it out.

         More recently, just within the past ten days or so, the same thing happened to another new show that had become a new staple of our viewing week. Jericho. We were caught up in it every week, and definitely were disappointed when it took a few weeks off. We were also eagerly watching when it came back. Then just a few days ago, we find out it’s been cancelled too. And with a talented actor like Gerald McRaney leading that fully-talented group, I never thought this would happen either.

         See a pattern here? I see two of them, and it brings a question for them as well..

         One. If they take one of your favorite shows off for a few weeks, don’t count on it coming back, and if it does, don’t expect it to last long. These two shows aren’t the first time one of the big shot networks has done this to us, and it won’t be the last.People's time is valuable these days, and often short. The networks wonder why ratings are down on a show they took off for a few weeks and just brought back. it's because people find other ways to use their precious time. But now the networks claim they're cancelling the show because of the ratings drop. DUH! If they had left those shows on, straight through the season, even with reruns, the viewership would still be there. It would never have left. My wife and I watch the various "Law and Order" variations on cable when there's nothing good on the networks. (We love those 3 series, too. And they're smart enough to keep them on the broadcast networks, too, even with reruns. Only rarely have they been pulled, and only for a one-week special most of the time. Like some awards show, then they're right back in place). Remember how I said this when you get to the end of this dissertation.
         Two. Even if a show is kept on, they often move it around. Different day of the week, different time of the day or evening. The inconsistency is a pain to people whose lives are often on a schedule, especially in regards to their free time. Kid’s sports events and the related practices, church groups and events, you name it. Most of those are on set schedules if they’re repeat events. Same day of the week, starting at the same time each session. When people find TV shows they like, in the time they have left to themselves, they look forward to them, but they also need, and look forward to them being on the same time, same day, for each episode. Because they end up missing some episodes if a show is moved to a time slot that conflicts with one of the kids’ sporting events, or a church group meeting, or whatever. People count on the TV shows they like being in the same time and place so they can make sure they’ll be able to watch them.

         In a nutshell, the networks are driving their own viewers away because they don’t give decent shows like Commander In Chief and Jericho a long enough chance to succeed. If a show isn’t an instant hit, they yank it from the air. And I think both of these were hits, and certainly would have taken off ratings wise on their own if given the time. Look at what we would have missed out on if M*A*S*H had been yanked after its first year or two, which weren’t exactly stellar in ratings.
         The networks don’t give even the best shows a decent chance anymore, and they wonder why the viewers are deserting them (the networks) in droves? It’s because we viewers can no longer count on anything from them except disappointment. We don’t want to let ourselves get too comfy with any of their new shows because we know that they’ll do it to us all over again, and pull them too soon to give them that chance that many of them richly deserve.
         A final thought. Years ago, a series called “The Paper Chase”, based on the wonderful movie of the same name, started on one of the networks. If memory serves, it barely lasted one year, maybe part of a second. It was intelligent, well written, well acted. Thankfully for those of us who liked that series, cable TV was smart enough, recognized the potential of the series, and picked it up. It went to the old CBN network for a year, then on to Showtime. That was heaven for those of us, like my father and I, who loved every episode. It literally ran for 3 or 4 more years. And when it left, it had a chance to film a very believable finale. Law School graduation. A logical, fitting close to a wonderful series. Cable seems to know a quality show more often than the broadcast networks seem to. Two more recent examples of that? The Mystery Woman movie series on Hallmark Channel, and the Supranos on HBO. I rest my case. Both developed by the cable channels. They know their viewers are intelligent people who enjoy real quality in the programming they give up their precious free time to watch. The broadcast networks don't seem to have caught onto the fact that we viewers are intelligent, educated people. And they're paying for that short sightedness.
         I just wish the cable and satellite channels would keep a closer eye on the broadcast networks and pick up the best of those shows like they did “The Paper Chase”, before those shows are pulled without even having a fighting chance. It’s not only unfair to the actors, writers, directors and other participants in a show, it’s also unfair to the thousands of viewers out here who are tired of being repeatedly disappointed when a quality, favorite show is cancelled. Commander In Chief and Jericho would be a good place to start that trend.
         We can only take it so much, for so long. There’s an old saying that “The third time is the charm”. They’ve pulled Commander In Chief on us, now they’ve pulled Jericho. That’s two. One more, and for me the broadcast networks will lose another viewer or two. And it won’t be for just a few weeks’ “hiatus”.

© Copyright 2007 Incurable Romantic (UN: jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Incurable Romantic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/509628-The-Broadcast-Networks-Keep-Making-The-Same-Mistake