*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/516714-A-gloomy-day
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#516714 added June 22, 2007 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
A gloomy day
It looks like it should/could/will rain today. I hope it does. We need rain badly.

Did anyone see the news item about the little girls who were loud while swimming in their backyard pool? And the neighbors took the parents to court?

If you go to ABCnews.com and click on Good Morning America, it's quite a hot topic. If you missed the video, it's there.

Personally, I think the neighbors were right. The kids were too loud.

I tried posting a comment at ABCnews.com myself, but the page just kept flashing and never did accept my comment. Grrr.

What I tried to say was that the whole situation - the kids being too loud, their parents' attitude about it, and the neighbors' anger all show how different today's world is than when I was a kid.

When I was young, any adult in the neighborhood could have requested the kids to play a bit more quietly - especially without the shreiks! - and the girls would have responded, "Okay Mrs. _____. We're sorry." And they would have played more quietly.

Or, if they didn't, any one of the disturbed neighbors could have approached the parents and the parents would have apologized and asked their kids to play more quietly.

Back then, we were more other centered. Now we're more "me centered." We worry more about our own rights than the comfort and rights of those around us.

What's sad is that the kids and their parents may someday learn the importance of kids not shreiking and screaming that way. If they are ever really in trouble, their own parents and the neighbors around them will just ignore the screams. You know...the story of the little boy who cried wolf?

I can't tell you how many times I shared that story with neighbor kids in Texas - when they were shreiking in the courtyard or in the swimming pool. When put to them that way - that their cries for help could go unnoticed - they tended to listen to me and not just think I was a cranky old lady. *Smile*

I guess I put too many links in an entry a few days ago. I may be about to do the same thing. *Laugh*

Here's the link to that bad poem I posted as part of a contest. (You know, the Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest.)

You're supposed to click here and read my bad poem, then vote on it like it's really good. *Smile* Seriously. If you vote for my poem the most one day, I could win an I-pod or $1000. Really. Now wouldn't that be fun? Hey, I would share. Well, not the I-pod, but the money. I could buy some gp's and spread them around. *Smile* http://www.poetry.com/voteforme/poemvote1.asp?PID=11956341 I'll wait....

Done?

Okay on to the next topic. I guess I'll never win an award for staying with one topic. *Laugh*

Ever feel tempted to send on a chain email letter or a popular forward? Know what you can do instead? Just send some of these links. These folks have collected some of the best and worst email chain letters and forwards. You can find more examples by just putting "email chain letters" or "email forwards" into a Google search.

http://bl.net/forwards/
http://www.chainletters.net/?page=index

This one is good: THINGS YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW WITHOUT THE MOVIES
http://bl.net/forwards/movies.html Reading this could actually help you do a story some day. *Laugh*

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/516714-A-gloomy-day