*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518924-Happy-4th-of-July
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#518924 added July 4, 2007 at 8:48am
Restrictions: None
Happy 4th of July
Regarding the signing of the Declaration of Independence John Adams said, "[Independence Day] will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore."
From http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin379.htm

John Adams was right. People do celebrate. Here in our neighborhood, they started practicing shooting off fireworks about a week ago. *Smile* I wonder, though, if they remember why they're celebrating? Perhaps not.

Our little community has a parade. I think this is only the fourth year they've had it. Last year was the first year that they gave prizes for floats and our church won for best float. Of course, when they showed pictures in the little local newspaper, they never mentioned that we won first place. They also credited a different church as the one that gave out bottled water to the crowd. But we didn't care.

Our church uses a boating theme for many things. (Our pastor sails. You know, the racing kind.) This year our float will be even better. *Smile* Besides the big float, we'll have a bunch of kids' wagons decorated just like the big one. We also have about 2,000 bottles of water to give out to the crowd again this year.

Hubby is going to walk in the parade. He did last year too. I'm going to ride in one of the vehicles. I already know that I cannot walk the parade route. Perhaps I'll be able to give out bottles of water. That would be fun. But just being with everyone else will be enough.

Last year 50% of our church marched in the parade. We're hoping for at least that good a turn out again. The only larger group than ours last year was the high school band - and it was actually the two high schools combined.

This year our pastor says he doesn't mind if we win first place for the float. We're shooting for winning as the most enthusiastic group. I think we can do that. *Laugh*

Be safe how ever you celebrate this year. Here in Cincinnati, they've already arrested quite a few people for drinking and driving. Even those who don't drink - or who would never drink and drive - are in danger when others do so. So watch out for those other guys. And leave the big explosions to the professionals, okay?

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518924-Happy-4th-of-July