*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/519610-We-all-forgot
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#519610 added July 7, 2007 at 10:36am
Restrictions: None
We all forgot...
Well, I forgot and you didn't remind me...that I didn't post sermon notes from last Sunday. *Smile*

Our pastor started a new sermon series last week called Faith Works. I think it's going to be a 15 part series this time.

Maturity Matters

Hebrews 6:1 MSG
Grow up in Christ.

Maturity Myths:

*Star*It is not about:

*Check5*show or appearance or activity level.

*Check5*status (what you are or what you have done...there's no depth in that)

*Check5*scholasticism (it's not what you know, it's what you do with it!)

Don't compare yourself to others, but to the ultimate measuring stick - God's Word and Jesus.

I know I'm a mature believer when...

*Star*I'm positive under pressure.

James 1:2-4 NIV
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1:12 MSG
Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life.

Don't you just love those words above? Loyally in love with God?

*Star*I show favor not favoritism.

Don't be a snob.

James 2:1-16 NIV
My brothers, ...don't show favoritism.

Matthew 25:37-40 NCV
Then the good people will answer, "Lord when did we see you hungry and give you food, or thirsty and give you something to drink?...Then the King will answer, "I tell you the truth, anything you did for even the least of my people here, you also did for me."

*Star*I can tame my tongue.

Don't insult.

When you go to the doctor's office, they have you stick out your tongue to check your physical self.

For a spiritual check-up, stick out your tongue. What are you saying that you shouldn't?

James 3:1-12 NCV
We all make many mistakes. If people never said anything wrong, they would be perfect and able to control their entire selves, too...Also a ship is very big, and it is pushed by strong winds. But a very small rudder controls that big ship, making it go wherever the pilot wants. It is the same with the tongue...

Some things should just not be said. Sometimes frankness is unkind.

Loose lips sink ships.

Ephesians 4:29 NCV
When you talk, do not say harmful things, but say what people need -- words that will help others become stronger. Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you.

Speak words that build up, not tear down. Tell the truth in love. Right timing, right place, right reason.

James 1:26 NIV
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

Yikes. Worthless? That hurts.

*Star*I am a person of compassion not conflict.

James 4:1 NIV
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?

a) Selfish motivation (vs. 3) or pride.

b) Judging others (vs. 11-12). You really don't know what is going on in a person's
life. Only God know everything, and he can judge.

*Star*I am prayerfully persevering.

James 5:7-11 NIV
Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming...You too, be patient and stand firm,... Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering... As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered.

James 5:16 NIV
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.


Be patient. While waiting - pray.





© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/519610-We-all-forgot