*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/524783-Slime-in-the-Ice-Machine
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#524783 added July 30, 2007 at 10:51pm
Restrictions: None
Slime in the Ice Machine
Marvin Zindler passed away today, at the age of 85. He was part of Houston's KTRK-TV news gang - the consumer reporter. Most recently, he'll be remembered for his reports on the cleanliness (or not) of Houston area restaurants. He wasn't shy about telling viewers about roaches and rats or rodent droppoings found in restaurants. And every one of his segments ended with reports of slime in the ice machines. There was even a jingle about that. *Smile*

I moved to Houston in 1978 and loved Marvin's reports from the first time I heard them. Perhaps his voice reminded me of someone I knew in Pittsburgh - Myron Cope, a commentator for the Steeler's radio broadcasts for 35 years.

I left Houston in 1986, then returned to the viewing area (Lake Jackson) in 1997. How exciting it was to hear Mr. Zindler's voice again. "Marvin Zindler, aaaaaah (eye) witness news."

If you're not in or near Houston, you still might know something about Marvin Zindler without realizing it.

Zindler used to work the sheriff's department. After he was fired, the TV station hired him and shortly after that, Zindler reported on a brothel in La Grange called the Chicken Ranch. Yes, that's what inspired the musical and the movie, "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." In the movie, DomDeLuise played Melvin P. Thorpe, the character based on Marvin Zindler.

I wonder if someone else will step up to do those slime reports now. Don't think it will be the same.

Here's something I found on YouTube about the slime in the ice machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUqlbjxznZA

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/524783-Slime-in-the-Ice-Machine