*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/531112-First-entry
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#531112 added August 30, 2007 at 1:51am
Restrictions: None
First entry
It is the eve of the lunar eclipse and in Phoenix has got to be one of the best celestial viewing venues around. The skies over Arizona come to life once the sun sets and depending on your location can allow for some amazing sights. Shooting stars are common place, but on one particular evening I counted nine separate satellite sightings. The satellite can be visible to the naked eye when the sky is clear just after dusk. There are easily several hundred satellites currently orbiting earth and with the exception of the geosynchronous orbiting type can be seen gracefully soaring through the night skies. They appear as but a speck of light, a star of sorts and it takes some practice to spot them, but once you spot one, you’ll be eager for the next.
  From the patio of my “third place,” better known as Starbucks, I won’t be seeing any satellites tonight. The full moon is looking down on me as it completes its path towards the western horizon. As with many writers I’m sure, Starbucks has been a welcome writing venue or simply a nice place to observe others in public. I have been referring to Starbucks as my third place since listening to an interview by Nora Ephron who spoke about her work on "You’ve Got Mail" and her use of little essays she enjoys inserting into her scripts. “Everyone has a third place they go to. There’s home, work, and their third place.” I always enjoyed that analogy as it seems fitting for most people. I have met many interesting people since coming here and have made a few good friends in the process. Although they are more acquaintance then common friend they are part of my life and influence my opinion of my community. Then there are those that are just enigmas in personality yet like the train crash, hard to look away from.
Not a bad start for a first entry I suppose. Reading back I don't seem to have been to borish, but none-the-less it's time to close. Enjoy the eclipse if you are able and awake.

© Copyright 2007 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/531112-First-entry