*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534850-Why-do-I-write
by TAofR
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1312019
Because I was born and raised on the moon
#534850 added September 13, 2007 at 12:38am
Restrictions: None
Why do I write?
Its a question every writer should ask themselves. WHY?

Is it for fun?

To let go of your emotions?

To express your ideas and beliefs? To defend them?


Why do I write?

I have always been facinated with books. Ever since I knew how to read. My favorite fairy was and still is "The Nutcracker Prince" I first read the ballet version, and fell in love with it. I loved and still love using my imagination. Even now, as I'm writing this blog entry I'm daydreaming. I daydream all day. Keeps me....happy.

Anyways--when I was 10, my family and I moved to Oregon. It was a fairly rough time, and tensions where high. We had to live with another family for a while, who...graciously gave one of their rooms to fit our 5 member family. For a while, things where ok....but then, a silly fight got out of hand, and for a while, we where confined to that room. I came home from school, and straight into that room. There was no TV, no toys, nothing. There was, I remember, a book on myths and fairy tales. So I started reading it, daydreaming, playing make believe. Soon, that wasn't enough. The stories I memorized quickly, and I needed new material...so I started to write.

At first, it was....the typical Mary Sue junk. Beautiful girl saves world/country/planet and gets the boy of her dreams. Heh then came the gothy, angsty, emo poetry when I was a teen....I destroyed all of those poems. THEY SUCKED.

I knew I wanted to write...I just never knew what...until I turned 16. Reading stories, I couldn't relate to any of the characters that well really. I liked them--they wheren't Mary Sues or anything--but I couldn't totally relate to them. And so, I once heard a quote "If There's a story you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet--WRITE IT"

So I started writing short stories with characters I could relate to...and I people who read them, most of the time, said they totally understood what they where going through(my chracters) so...it made me...happy to see I other people could relate to this. Could relate to what I felt as well. Made me feel...not alone, or weird...ok...not too weird.

My writing style is more...of internal monolouges. I like doing this because...I have conversations with myself, my muses and "imaginary friends" all the time. It calms me down, helps get the creative juices flowing.

Also, I like writing about....people who are trying to "save" themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving the world and helping those around you....but I think, one needs to take care of themselves first. All of my characters have flaws. They aren't super model pretty--average looking. They aren't that special in school, or sports. Maybe one. They don't get the girl/guy at the end.

I want my writings to reveal the characters, their believes, their internal battles--I want them to reveal everything. I've long learn that people hide so much of themselves, for fear of being shunned for being so different--and I want that, when they read about my character, I want them to relate to them, to know that "You know...there are other wolves out there in sheeps clothing--I'm not alone"

I also write to express my beliefs--my feelings about something. I won't lie--I put a little bit of myself in my characters. What writer doesn't?

A lot, if not all of my stories deal with growing up. Because I find that topic facinating--even more so, how different cultures and people, deal with it.

So...thats that.

I write stories that I can relate to---I write stories to hopefully show people that they aren't alone in their weird quirks and closeted interests. I write to express myself.

Why do YOU write?

© Copyright 2007 TAofR (UN: chswriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TAofR has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534850-Why-do-I-write