*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/536347-Mind-Games
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#536347 added September 20, 2007 at 5:32pm
Restrictions: None
Mind Games
Last night’s tennis match was a wash. We won two levels by default. Our opponents only brought two players. Technically, this meant we didn’t have to play at all. Being new to the game, they didn't know any better. As captain, i made an executive decision to play the one level and sent Brandi and Melinda out to court 3. During that match, the rest of us hit around on court 5. Playing points, but not games, working on our serves, service returns and other various shots. Judy was a riot.

I hadn't met Judy before the hitting session. What a great opportunity for me to do so. She works for the state doing I’m not sure what, but mentioned something about law school. She suggested we wear matching colors, you know, to give ourselves the mental edge over our opponents?

“It’s all about the mindfuck.” She whispered across the net before we rotated sides. “They’ll think we know how to play cuz we know how to dress.”

I agree with her philosophy, by the way. During my comeback after developing my T.O.S, I vowed to never enter the court without proper tennis attire – the skirt and all. Adidias is my fave.

Then, Judy mentioned something about tube socks, "You know, with different color stripes at the top?” A mental flash of Linda Ronstadt popped into my head. Didn’t she wear tube socks on the cover of her Living in the USA CD? Only they were called albums back then. (Did I just date myself?)

So anyway, where was i? Oh, matching outfits...“Yeah,” I added, and we can part our hair down the middle and wear those pigtail looking things.” I pulled off my scrunchi, grasped fistfuls of hair in both hands to demonstrate. Giggling erupted from all of us. “And get those short shorts," I continued. "That Venus wore during the Open."

Judy rolled up her warm up suit pant leg. “Here is why we need tube socks.” Her fair white skin is covered with purple bruises. What on Earth did she bang her shins into?

“Oh. Wait a minute,” I teased. “I have to give up showing off my bronze tanned skin because you have a few little bruises?” Full-blown laughter now. “I don’t think so.”

Next week we play at John Drew Smith Tennis Center against some team calling themselves the Divas. Dressed in blue, our new color, we will walk on the court with our mind, um starts with F rhymes with duck attitude!

Judy can have the tube socks and pigtails.



© Copyright 2007 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/536347-Mind-Games