*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/536712-Teachers-Aide-Autistic-Child-An-OUTRAGE
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#536712 added September 21, 2007 at 1:45pm
Restrictions: None
Teacher's Aide, Autistic Child, An OUTRAGE!
One of our local TV stations, WCPO Channel 9 in Cincinnati, shared the story of an autistic child a few days ago.

This little boy, 6 years old and in kindergargen allegedly assaulted a teacher's aide. She has filed criminal charges against him, and according to the news report yesterday, the court is going forward with the charges. The charge is a juvenile fourth degree misdemeanor assault.

This is amazing to me!

First, the child is in kindergarten. Many children that age have not yet learned to control their anger. There are kindergarten kids in our neighborhood. They are still learning not to hit and punch.

Secondly, this child's mental capacity is that of a child half his age. He functions at about the three-year-old level.

When my son was young, I worked as a day care teacher and as a child care director. One day, a boy in the three-year-old class kicked me in the shin. Boy did that hurt. We put him in time out for a while. When he calmed down and was apologetic, I let him look at the bruise on my shin. Huge tears fell from his eyes as he told me how sorry he was for hurting me.

Kids that age still do stupid things. As a day care teacher and director, I experienced other physical altercations, but it never crossed my mind that a child's punishment should include filing criminal charges.

The little boy in the news story is autistic. Children that age and with autism do lash out, especially if you're trying to get them to do something they don't want to do.

The teacher's aide has refused to talk with news people. The school says they have adequately trained their staff. The school board mouthpiece says they have followed proper procedures.

If you would like to read Channel 9's commentary on this, here is the link. You can also watch the video. http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=1faaed2c-0902-4c23-8d9a-52...

If you would like to contact the school principal, here's that link: http://www.bracken.k12.ky.us/education/components/contact/default.php?sectiondet...

And here's the link to contact the school board: http://www.bracken.k12.ky.us/education/components/contact/default.php?sectiondet...

I really don't think this child should have a criminal record. I do think the school should provide teachers and teacher's aides adequately trained to handle austic children. And I'm going to write and tell them so.





© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/536712-Teachers-Aide-Autistic-Child-An-OUTRAGE