*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/539791-I-Am-Not-Amused
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#539791 added October 5, 2007 at 4:46pm
Restrictions: None
I Am Not (A)muse(d)
Okay. Strange title. Let me explain.

I have been on the internet since 1999 and chatting and networking online with others who write ever since. Every time one of them starts blaming their ineptitude on or attributing their prowess to a "Muse", I tend to quietly retreat, backing out the door without comment. Today, I wondered why that word bothers me so much and decided to try to figure it out.

First, I have to admit that I love the word "muse" as a verb. I love the idea of meditating on something, ruminating upon and gazing wonderingly. I also love pondering, reflecting, mulling something over. I have been known to loiter in thought myself sometimes. I like those word pictures.

The next definition in most dictionaries is what bothers me, I guess. That's where Greek mythology comes into the picture. That's where Zeus' daughters are mentiond and where goddess presiding over a particular art is mentioned. Another definition is, a guiding spirit. That is definitely a problem for this Christian writer.

Lastly, the definitions show, genius or powers characteristic of a poet. A source of inspiration, is also mentioned, as is, a poet.

What I would like to discard is the middle part, the definition that refers to Greek gods and goddesses and to unknown spirits, but that's the definition most of our fellow writers are inferring when they use the word "muse." That, I am certain, is why I am uncomfortable with the word use, especially when it comes from the mouths (or pens) of Christian writers.

Usually one who claims a muse as his/her guiding source of writing materials equally places blame and fame to that muse for the writing. That has always confused me a bit. In instances other than writing and works of art, most people place blame but take credit.

Christian writers should be giving credit to God for inspiration and good writing materials. And we should be accepting our own foibles when we come up dry or when the pen is stalled on the page. Perhaps our connection to Him is temporarily weakened, and if so, it's not His fault but our own.

What are your thoughts on this?

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/539791-I-Am-Not-Amused