*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/540923-The-757
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#540923 added December 8, 2007 at 10:19pm
Restrictions: None
The 757
When the opportunity presented itself to work at the airport, I leaped at the chance. I manage a small three-man repair shop that provides technical repair services for various airlines at Phoenix Sky Harbor International airport. For the past four years I have enjoyed being part of the aviation industry and the excitement that goes along with it. It is a non-stop, fast paced and sometimes hectic environment which allows for some very interesting behind the scene experiences and allows me ample chance to rub up against some of today’s hi-tech aircraft and add to my working knowledge of flying. 
In order to gain access to the airport I had to undergo an extensive back ground investigation and finger print check by the FBI. It’s not as intrusive as it sounds and provided you’re not a serial killer or chain saw murderer, you stand a fairly good chance of being approved.
Because of the nature of my business I was issued a red badge which allows me full access to any manned gate around the perimeter of the property. Once I pass through the gates I am free to drive, within certain boundaries, among the planes and ground equipment making my way to any given destination. During peak travel times it can get very congested and confusing to navigate around the terminal. Planes of all sizes, from Boeing 737’s to Airbus A-320’s are in various stages of arrival or departure and it takes some practice to move about the roadway and taxiway’s without hindering the flow of aircraft traffic. It’s an organized chaos of planes and tractors, belt loaders and food service trucks all moving in dissimilar directions at similar times, all with the mission of turning the flight in as little time as possible and getting it flying again.
From the approach end of runway 26R the morning sun peaks over the Superstition Mountains chasing its own light across the desert floor. The peaceful morning is suddenly shattered by the roaring engines of an inbound Boeing 757. The underbelly of the plane soars right over my parked truck, the landing gear outstretched, as if reaching for the fast approaching runway. The powerful twin engines generate a turbulent disturbance of air and heat as the graceful giant makes first contact with the earth. A blue plume of smoke rises from the huge landing gear tires and gets sucked back into the wake of the now reversing engines, as the plane slows and works its way onto the taxiway. Before the smoke from the 757 settles another plane, a McDonald-Douglas, screams overhead in similar fashion to make its graceful arrival to the dessert. It’s an exhilarating sensation to be within such close proximity of these massive flying machines and I never tire seeing them in action. The smell of kerosene and burnt rubber hangs in the air and I move to follow the 757 along its short journey from taxiway to gate. It’s met by the ground crew who take up positions around the aircraft to guide it to its resting place. A volley of service vehicles and ground personnel wait ready to burst into action once the engines shut down, the spinning blades of the General Electric engines clatter to a stop. In unison, the ground crew and service vehicles rush to the aircraft, others open access panels, hook up ground power supply units and portable air conditioning equipment and the loading bridge makes it’s slow jerky journey towards the passenger hatch of the plane. Before the first passenger has gotten off, the ground crew has already offloaded a good portion of the luggage and cargo, preparing the plane to take on a fresh load of passengers, luggage and cargo. The fuel truck pumps pound after pound of Jet-A fuel into the massive wing tanks while the food service truck transfers fresh beverages and snacks through the rear hatch of the aircraft. The first officer takes a brief walk around the aircraft, inspecting for any damage or leaks. He peaks into the mouth of the engine bell carefully inspecting each blade for signs of impact or wear. He “kicks” the tires and runs his hand along the belly, as if thanking it for a job well done. Before long, the plane is ready for its next leg of the journey and is hooked up to the push tractor that will guide the plane away from the gate. A small crew of three sees to this process; two wing-walkers and one driving the tractor. The wing walkers act as the eyes of the tractor operator and make certain the wings clear any possible obstacles as well as warn other traffic to yield to the moving plane and running engines. Once in place, the wing walkers rush to unhook the push tractor from the aircraft, close another access panel and give the flight crew an “all clear” salute, waving them in the general direction of travel. The captain gives a wave and throttles up the engines to get the big giant moving along the taxiway and to the departure end of the runway. Distant flickering lights break the horizon marking the approach of an inbound plane. The massive 757 waits for clearance before making its way onto the runway. I make my way to the little dirt road and park to watch the departure of my new 757 friend. The air is distorted from the heat of the engines as full power is applied, the ground shakes and I get a powerful blast of hot air as the plane slowly makes its way down the runway before gracefully lifting off the ground, leaving a trail of disturbed air on its way to anywhere.


© Copyright 2007 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/540923-The-757