*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549615-A-Farewell-to-The-Old-Lefthander
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1241026
Thoughts on things from the news, TV, radio, and daily life that hit home with me.
#549615 added July 16, 2016 at 4:23pm
Restrictions: None
A Farewell to The Old Lefthander
         Joe Nuxhall was the youngest major league baseball player of all time. His pro career began in 1944 at age 15, with the Cincinnati Reds. He was in the 9th grade. He had to ask permission from the school principal to go to the Opening Day baseball game. But he could pitch with the best of them, and he did.
         After 16 years on the mound, "Hamilton Joe" moved to the Reds' broadcast booth in 1960 at age 31. Still, when there was batting practice, you found Joe on the mound. When they needed someone to hit balls to the fielders for practice, you found Joe at the plate. Yes, he had been one of those seemingly rare pitchers who was also a danger (to the oppostion) at the plate.
         I don't remember his inital partner in the booth, but not long after the move he was paired with Al Michaels, who now broadcasts network sports. When Al moved to the network, Joe was partnered with Marty Brenneman. The two would become household names to Reds fans over the ensuing 44 years, to Joe's retirement in 2004, after a 60-year career in baseball, which obviously included broadcasting the glory years of the Big Red Machine. Everyone knew them, often seeing them at the local Kroger store (for whom they paired up again in a series of fun loving commercials). Fans referred to them strictly by their first names. No one needed the rest. When anyone mentioned "Marty and Joe", everyone knew to whom they were referring.
         Joe's involvement with civic activities, kids, you name it, was well known too. He definitely enjoyed giving back to the town that had stood by him through his 60-year career and beyond. He even led the Chicken Dance at Cincinnati's Oktoberfest this year.
         “The Old Lefthander” died at 11:00 PM EST Thursday, 11/15/2007 at 79, following a bout with pneumonia which came after his latest round of chemo for lymphoma. He was to have undergone surgery on Friday, 11/16/2007 to receive a pacemaker.
         I was one of hundreds of ordinary fans who waited in line for hours a few evenings later at Joe's public visitation. I got there as soon as I could after leaving work, yet by then the line already had at least 150-200 people in it. It wound through the courtyard adjacent to the building like an endless snake. I knew I wouild be there for hours, and what that meant. Standing on my feet for that long a time always makes my back just about kill me. And the longer I stood, the more intense the pain always became. But that afternoon I could have cared less. I just plain had to be there, no matter what. That was one place I, and quite a few hundred more of Joe's fans simply had to be. When I finally made it to the other end of the line, Joe's brother Kim commented how the famly was simply so wonderfully bowled over with the number of people that had come to pay their respects. I told him, "Just remember, Kim: what you see here is a mere fraction of the fans around here that have supported, and loved Joe through all those sixty years. And all of us are the better for having known him." Kim thanked me for my kind words, and said that Joe's family will most certainly never forget what it felt like to find out how very much Joe was loved and respected by so many. He said that knowing that had already made it easier on the family. And THAT was something I liked knowing. I coiuld barely walk at all as I left that night. Yet I have never once regretted putting myself through that much physical pain for that long a time. It was a very small price to pay in order to have the very important opportunity to say thank you to the man that I, and my late wife Linda had admired and respected through most of our lives. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.

         Joe's trademark phrase for the end of every Reds radio broadcast was, "This is the Old Lefthander, rounding third and heading for home. Goodnight, everyone." This past Thursday night Joe rounded those bases one last time, and truly headed Home.
         Father, thank you for all the joy, laughter, tears, and especially the wonderful excitement that You brought us throughout Joe's years on the field and in the booth. Be with his family, friends, and his countless fans as we say goodbye to a Cincinnati sports icon. In Jesus' name, Amen.

         As one Cincinnati official said today, "Joe was an example to today's generation of what a man of good character should be." A statue of Joe in his classic pitching stance welcomes fans to Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark. That, and his classic closing line, in lights along the top of the ballpark, greet all who come to see the team he loved being a part of for 60 years. Tonight, in Joe's memory, the ballpark will be dark, but the lights will shine forth on his statue, and his closing words will break the darkness with the brilliance of their light.

Rest in Peace, Joe.
You will be sorely missed.



For those interested in finding out more about Joe's life and career, visit WCPO.com.

© Copyright 2016 Incurable Romantic (UN: jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Incurable Romantic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549615-A-Farewell-to-The-Old-Lefthander