*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549777
by Shaara
Rated: E · Book · Children's · #970570
This selection of stories and poems will enchant the child in you.
#549777 added November 17, 2007 at 2:46pm
Restrictions: None
The Bad Chocolate Bunny
A small child receives an evil-looking chocolate bunny.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The Bad Chocolate Bunny






In his Easter basket, Sammy got a huge, chocolate rabbit enclosed in a colorful yellow and blue box. Eagerly, his tiny fingers ripped and tore until he could see the candy bunny clearly.

“Oh,” said Sammy, and his thumb rushed up to his mouth. He sat back on his legs and feet and stared down at the eyes of the bunny. Usually Sammy talked a babble-streak of words, but the bunny’s gaze stopped him. Little Sammy sniffled loudly and sucked harder on his thumb. Otherwise, he kept still as a frightened mouse.

His parents laughed. “Aren’t you going to take a bite?” said his father.

“He just had a handful of jelly beans,” his mother said. “I doubt he’s hungry, but try it, anyway, Sammy. See if you like it.”

Sammy’s eyes flitted back and forth between his parents’ faces, studying them, pondering. His thumb pulsated with the rhythm of his heavy sucking, and he started rocking his body back and forth, back and forth, as he gazed at the evil-looking chocolate bunny. A shiver swept through him as he stared at its eyes.

Sammy was only two, but he was sure something was wrong. He examined the face of his mother again. She was MOMMY. She sang to him every night! Curled against her warm, soft chest, he always felt so safe. But why didn’t she see how bad the bunny was? Why did she urge him to touch it?

“Be a big boy and take a bite out of that bunny!” said his father.

Sammy turned to stare at him. Daddy had always been there to wipe the tears, to hand him a cookie, to blow his nose. Why couldn’t Daddy see that the bunny was bad?

Sammy desperately wanted to rush into the arms of his soft, sweet mommy or his gentle, loving daddy, but something stopped him. He knew it was the bunny. His parents were both laughing. They wanted him to pick up the bunny and nibble on its ear.

Sammy sighed, pulled the thumb out of his mouth with a loud, slurping pop, and stood up. Then he bolted away for the bathroom, yelling “Pee-pee, Mommy. Pee-pee.”

In the bathroom, Sammy unrolled yards of toilet paper and wrapped them about his head to protect himself. Then he climbed into the bathtub and pulled the curtains closed. In the sweet darkness of safety, he let loose his tears and sobbed quietly.

It was Daddy who came looking for him. “Where’s my big boy?” his father boomed out.

Sammy closed his eyes and slunk down even smaller, picturing himself disappearing into the white surface of the tub.

His father ripped open the curtains with a violent jerk. “Ah, there you are. Hiding, I see.”

His father didn’t seem to notice the tears sparkling like dew drops on Sammy's cheeks. Nor did the man’s eyes see that his son was trembling.

“Come on. There’s a chocolate bunny waiting for you,” the dad said as he lifted Sammy up, unwrapped the toilet paper from his head, and carried him back to the living room.

“No!” cried out little Sammy. “No, no, no, no!”

“He was hiding in the bathtub with toilet paper around his head, just waiting for us to come in and get him,” the father told Sammy’s mom.

The parents laughed -- again displaying a strange high-pitched cackle that sounded different than normal. Sammy sucked harder and harder on his thumb.

His father set Sammy down on the carpet once more, right next to the bad, chocolate rabbit. Sammy looked at it again, hoping he’d imagined it all, but the eyes seemed even larger. In fact, the eyeballs were bulging outward, bigger than the rest of its head and a scary sky-blue in color. Those eyes kept staring with their knowing, fierce look.

“Mommy!” Sammy screamed out, as if his cry were a rope, and he was falling down into quicksand.

“Don’t be a baby!” said his father, turning red with anger.

“Just bite the rabbit,” said his mother with a coldness in her eyes Sammy had never seen before.

“I don’t believe it!” his dad growled out, and he would have said more, but the doorbell rang. Howling with irritation, Sammy's father stormed over to answer it.

“Hurry,” said Sammy's mother. “Take a bite before someone takes the bunny away.”

Sammy shook his head. His eyes begged for help as he stared at the doorway. Then his face lit up, his thumb dropped out, and Sammy catapulted across the space into Grandpa’s arms. “Bad bunny. Bad bunny,” Sammy cried out.

Grandpa laughed, but in a friendly way, and he scooped his grandson up. “I got one of those, too, Sammy, when I was about your age. You know what my daddy did?”

Sammy clung to his grandpa’s neck, but he shook his head and waited to hear.

Grandpa set Sammy down on the sofa and backed up to look down at the chocolate bunny. “Yep. It was exactly like that one. We fixed it, though. Want me to do it?”

Sammy nodded his head.

Grandpa swept his eyes over his son and daughter-in-law, shook his head, and then squatted down by the chocolate rabbit. Bang! His fist went right through the hollow bunny’s head. The eyes smashed into smithereens.

“Can I have a bite of it?” Grandpa asked Sammy.

The little one nodded his head and watched as his grandpa's big mouth crunched down on a handful of fragments.

“Yep! Tastes just fine now that I took all the bad out. You want a bite?”

Sammy tossed a glance at his dad and mom. The bad lights had faded from their eyes. His parents were smiling at him again.

“OK,” Sammy said, and his grandpa handed him a chunk of bunny foot.

The chocolate was sweet and delicious, like thick, dark cocoa. Sammy smiled. “Good,” he told them, as he climbed down from the sofa. Then little Sammy picked up pieces of the bunny and shared the rest of it with his mommy, daddy, and grandpa.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




This was purchased as a donation to RAOK.
© Copyright 2007 Shaara (UN: shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549777