*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553561-Editing
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #554627
Encounters with the Writing Process
#553561 added December 5, 2007 at 4:41pm
Restrictions: None
Editing
Editing is best done by the writer himself. A writer who does not read what he has written should not consider himself a writer. A writer has to read his work as soon as he puts the last period on his manuscript to make changes so the meaning comes across more effectively.

Then he has to read it again for copy editing purposes. Copy-editing is checking the grammar, spelling and punctuation in the text so the text is in its best presentable condition.

Revising one’s work requires objectivity and heartlessness. Most writers are emotionally attached to their work and they may consider them as their children; however, one needs to discipline his children for their own welfare. This is the same with the written work. The written work also deserves to be disciplined so it makes the best impression that it can make on its readers.

In revision, a thorough reading first while editing out excess words, phrases, paragraphs, sections or chapters is the first step. The question to ask here is: Is the message of the piece clearly presented and do the paragraphs and chapters flow smoothly?

Once the structure is intact, another thorough reading to spot grammar, spelling and punctuation errors. Then, most of the time, reading the text aloud also helps to pinpoint anything that may have escaped the attention.

In addition, taking a day off and looking at the material the next day or a few days later may also give positive results. Getting someone else with a keen eye and understanding of the subject to read the text is the next thing to do. Another person may be better able to comment on the clarity of the message or the expression.

With a careful editing, the text will probably go through several revisions before it will be good enough to submit it to an agent or a publisher.

Another step could be to pay a professional writer or editor who is familiar with the genre or the subject to look through and review the text.

Proofreading and copy editing are not the same things, even if they may be considered to be same by some people. Editing by the writer of the text is the first thing to do. Copy editing is next, which can be done by someone else, but not necessarily so, and proofreading means checking the proofs (printed pages) against the edited manuscript to make sure that the printer did not make new mistakes during typesetting.





© Copyright 2007 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/553561-Editing