*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/557009-Hand-Written-Note
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#557009 added December 25, 2007 at 2:23am
Restrictions: None
Hand-Written Note
I searched the valley for an open Starbucks. Guided by the soft glow of a winter’s moon and driven by an addict-like need for my evening coffee I set out in search of my fix. I drove past the empty shopping center parking lots and down the normally bustling streets of Phoenix, determined to find a temporary third place for the night.
My third place was locked up tight. A few lights were left on, illuminating the quiet espresso machine inside. There it stood. Silent, like a monolith of stainless steel and brass plumbing, it glistened in the dim light of the empty store. I could only stare at it through the glass doors, a hand written note hung with care wishing other would-be coffee junkies a Merry Christmas. “Bah Humbug,” I thought, at the idea of a caffeine free night and set out on my quest.
I donned my new iPod, a Christmas gift to myself, and searched through the library of music for something suitable for my coffee fix search. I landed on the song “I Wonder Why” by Dion and the Belmont’s and set off down Camelback Road. I kept beat to the rhythm of the fifties tune, putting to use my mental GPS of other Starbucks locations. The truck seemed to have a mind of its own as it rolled down the quiet street and into the next Starbucks parking lot. Another closed sign and Merry Christmas wish. I knew there were at least four other Starbuck stores within this five mile radius and as I headed for the next location, my little iPod shuffled the song “It’s Bad You Know,” by RL Burnside. A great little blues riff that was literally speaking my mind. It was bad; you know?
I could see the green and white sign close into view like an oasis of salvation as I rounded the corner of Missouri Road. Alas, I could see a few employees through the picture window of the corner-store Starbucks. Might I be saved? I pulled in and stopped at the drive through to order. Silence… no friendly greeting to welcome me. Maybe they didn’t see me pull in, I thought. I took a chance and pulled past the speaker box and straight up to the window. This was serious after all; an all out coffee emergency. The goatee-sporting employee shook his head, nodding out a sympathetic sorry we’re closed gesture while hanging up the all-to familiar hand written Christmas wish of good will to man. I managed a defeated half-smile as I pulled out of the drive through and back on the road.
My little iPod’s next choice happened to be “Who’s Sorry Now” by Connie Francis. How appropriate, I thought as I drove to the next location. I fought back and skipped to the next selection, “Time is On My Side” by Irma Thomas and let out a small cheer of rebellion as I continued my quest for that soothing warm beverage loved by so many.
The miles rolled on the digital odometer of my truck as I slowly drove past another closed Starbucks location as Perry Como came on to remind me that “It’s Impossible.”
Defeated, I settled on the closest Quick-Trip convenience store for my caffeine fix and enjoyed the stillness of the Christmas Eve drive home and the vocal company of Billie Holiday singing “God Bless the Child.”

Merry Christmas to you all…

 
 

© Copyright 2007 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/557009-Hand-Written-Note