*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/563219-They-stepped-out
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#563219 added January 24, 2008 at 10:27pm
Restrictions: None
They stepped out
Today was a workout day, so after I finished my last parent conference, I went over to the gym to get put through my paces. It's getting a lot easier to perform the exercises, although that's not to say that it doesn't still require considerable moaning and groaning on my part.

At the last workout ssession, we made plans to go out to dinner tonight once we were finished. We wanted to try out the new restaurant that the head secretary at our school and her husband just opened in Acworth.

It seems that owning a restaurant has been a long time dream of the secretary's husband. Although they are by no means a young couple, probably in their sixties or so, they decided to go for it.

It's a seafood restaurant, and they have a pretty nice menu. I had the low county boil, which is a dish I love. I wasn't disappointed. The restaurant itself, with its sort of nautical/dockside theme is attractive, cozy and inviting. The wait staff is attentive and friendly.

They had a decent-sized crowd tonight, couples and small groups. Seated next to us was our former principal and assistant principal, who left our building when a new school opened in the area a couple of years ago. On the other side was a former counselor from our school and her family, so it was like a small homecoming. Overall the experience was a very good one.

I'm glad that we went, not just to support our co-worker and friend and her husband, but because it was worth the visit. The secretary, despite the fact that she had put in a full day at work- she and I walked into the school building together at about 7:30 this morning- was playing hostess at 7:00 this evening. Her husband was going from table to table, talking and laughing with his guests, looking quite at ease and content. He has a condition that causes his hands to shake, but since he kept them in his pockets, if you didn't already know of it, you wouldn't have.

I think what I enjoyed most on a personal level was seeing those two people working their dream. They went for it and they achieved it. At their stage of life, it had to have been a scary undertaking. I'm sure they used money they had put away, and a restaurant is a huge gamble. But like it is with the lottery, you can't win if you ain't in.

I admire their courage, and I wish them the best in their endeavor.

© Copyright 2008 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/563219-They-stepped-out