*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567350-Tennis-on-Campus-and-Quick-Start-Tennis
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#567350 added February 13, 2008 at 1:31pm
Restrictions: None
Tennis on Campus and Quick Start Tennis
I can’t believe how busy I am at work. I went from having nothing to do to having three plates full of things to do.

First, I’m working too many days in a row. Tournament season is gearing up; and it will be like this for months to come. Today marks day number ten and I’m going through a full very long day on Saturday. I will be ready for rest this coming Sunday.

However, two projects I’m on are fun and exciting:

First, I’m recruiting a Tennis on Campus team. I met a guy back in January when I was in Atlanta accepting my USTA Southern Media Excellence Award, named Jeff who works for the USTA Southern Tennis Association. He needs twenty-four teams to compete in a Section event he’s directing, or helping direct, or overseeing. We sorta made a trade…I recruit a team to enter into his event and he paints a Tennis in the Parks logo on the circular concert slab thingy I have in the front of my tennis center. (Jeff helps out with Tennis in the Parks among other responsibilities at Southern.)

He wanted Mercer University to enter. I tried, but no go. Spring Break lands on the tournament dates and those college kids go home for break. Then, it occurred to me I could recruit a team from Macon State College After all, one of the players on my morning USTA Leagues 3.0 team is a MSC student. Her name is Lila. Plus, I know a guy who plays recreational tennis who attends MSC. Perfect.

I called Jeff, “Are there any slots open for the sectional event?” my tone is breathless. I’ve been on the phone for the past hour encouraging these young adults to come on board.

“Technically, yes.” He explains that while 25 teams have expressed strong interest in attending, he only has paperwork on about a dozen. He further tells me that it’s not a selection process; it’s first to submit first to participate deal. (double perfect)

“Great.” I say. We chat a bit about grant money available and other specs.

Meanwhile, A.J sticks his head in my office. “I wanna play.” He smiles. “In the section thing.” I had emailed him a quick note last night. I can’t believe he is here…at the tennis center, stepping his foot into my office.

Awesome, I think. Then say, “We need three guys and three girls total. Do you know anyone?” He does, he will call them tonight.

Then, this morning, Lia emails with good and bad news. Twin boys want to join the team, she’s also recruited a very strong female player…there may be grant money from the school…but, the school representative is on vacation and won’t be back till Thursday.

I want her to call me…there may be something we can work out here. Even if they don't make the section event, they can form a club and compete and it will be super. Needless to say, it’s all very ‘adrenalin rushing’ I so needed this.

Second thing. Quick Start it’s a brand new approach the USTA had developed to get more kids playing tennis. It’s an awesome approach where they reduce the size of the court, shorten the racquets and use sponge or low-compression balls all while modifying the game to make it easier for kids to keep score.

Parents are heavily recruited to help out. They help assemble the mini court before practice and also help with other tasks. We are about to move full speed ahead with this beginning with our Schools program. Yours truly is the Schools Program Coordinator.

We use modified courts and equipment. But we aren’t stuck to using the modified balls. The key to success is to utilize all the modified equipment together and getting parents involved.


Anyway. I was in a long meeting with my boss mapping out our approach…hence my three plates full of things to do...and he oesn’t even know about the Tennis on Campus thing I’m doing. *Smile*

© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567350-Tennis-on-Campus-and-Quick-Start-Tennis