*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567719-Cold
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#567719 added February 14, 2008 at 10:55pm
Restrictions: None
Cold....
Last night and this morning it was sooooooooo cold. Being a Michigan native, you'd think that frigid temps wouldn't bother me. But they did then, and they do now. In fact, one of my husband's strongest negotiating points when he proposed moving down here was the warmer weather. Now I think the relatively mild Georgia winters have me and my constitution spoiled. My blood seems to have thinned considerably. I simply cannot take these cold, cold days we've been having.

Last night, we went to Harry's for some Gala apples; they have the organic ones, really crisp and sweet. The temp had been dropping like a rock all day, and by the time we were crossing the parking lot to go into the store, there was a wind to go along with the cold. I wanted to cuss, I was so thoroughly chilled.

But this being Georgia,of course folks were out in shorts, flip flops, no coats. I don't know how they do it, but just looking at them sent shivers through me.

This morning, it was practically arctic- breath curling in front of the eyes, frost on the windows of cars left in the driveway or at the curb, Jack Frost playing Peeping Tom in the windows of houses, the whole shot. I sent up a prayer of thanks that my car was in the garage and the garage is attached to the house. I didn't have to get out there in it until I arrived at school where I hot-footed it into the building once I got my stuff out of the car.

A while later, I'm out on the breezway, wrapped like a mummy and hurrying to breakfast duty, speaking to the arriving students I passed. So many of them were in tee shirts, flip-flops, or sporting wet hair. I just shook my head and chalked my misery up to that thin blood I mentioned earlier and to being grown. I can remember being that young once and not having good sense about some things either. But I don't think I did 30 degrees and below very well even way back then.

I'm telling you, if there really is a hell, and you're anticipating to trip to the Nether Regions, forget about the fire and brimstone. Wear your parka, gloves, and boots; it's freaking cold down there.

© Copyright 2008 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567719-Cold