*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/580531-A-Class-Assignment
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#580531 added April 20, 2008 at 10:44pm
Restrictions: None
A Class Assignment
Eileen Archibald is restless. From behind the frosted glass walls of her office-command post at the heart of Phoenix College- the task of maintaining and growing enrollment falls into the lap of Archibald, executive assistant to the president, and her sharp staff in the marketing department. Since its founding in 1920, Phoenix College has grown from 53 students to well over 20,000. The diverse collection of students ranges from all walks of life with one common goal: continued education. 

Although born in New York, Archibald is a self proclaimed native Arizonian, having been raised in Tempe. She put herself through college-paying out of pocket as money allowed- and has attended all the Maricopa Community Colleges to experience life at each campus. To help offset the costs of attending school, she took a job with Gateway Community College and earned her associate's in liberal arts and business. Last year she earned her master's in education from Northern Arizona University.

Archibald came to Phoenix College three years ago and was offered the position of executive assistant to the president. She "fell" into the position in the marketing department and over the past three years has helped give Phoenix College a fresh look. Some of her duties include raising awareness and enrollment through television, radio and print media based on a solid marketing plan which she oversees. Archibald also meets with various advisory boards, coordinates all public relations, organizes and schedules special events, commencement ceremonies, and is Public Information Officer for Phoenix Community College. A typical day for Archibald is, "there is no typical day," she said with a laugh. She leads a group of four, assigning them various projects and tasks that will transform the group into a team of thinkers and doers. Archibald gets excited in the teaching of others. Seeing a group or individual grow and learn is all the satisfaction she needs to keep her coming back for more.
For a change of pace, Archibald is an advisor for the International Honors Society, Phi Theta Kappa (PTK). Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society of two-year colleges and academic programs, particularly community colleges and junior colleges. She is also a huge Steven Covey fan and uses his philosophies as a facilitator, teaching classes each semester on time management. Dr. Covey wrote the best-selling book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, as well as many other self-help books on time management.

Archibald would like to revive her artistic talent and prefect her use of watercolors. She is an accomplished artist, who has taken classes in "live-art;" sketching posed models. She has even sold a few of her pieces. She enjoys attending the First Friday's art walk in Phoenix, although it's more for the experience and not for the art, she admits.
Eileen Archibald is restless. She is restless for new challenges, fresh ideas, and new experiences. She is restless for passing her knowledge-like a torch-to those around her, but mostly, she is restless for the students. "The students are why we are here," speaking for the staff as a whole.     
 

   

© Copyright 2008 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/580531-A-Class-Assignment