*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/582589-Deaf-Coffee-Night
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#582589 added May 1, 2008 at 12:52am
Restrictions: None
Deaf Coffee Night
Sociologist Ray Oldenburg's third place theory reasons that everyone has some other location besides work or home to gather. The Starbucks at 16th Street and Camelback Rd in Phoenix is the après-event gathering spot for the upwardly mobile, yet magically maintain a neighborhood atmosphere for young and old to enjoy. Nestled off a heavily traveled road, this location provides a sense of style all its own and you soon forget you are in a chain-store.

The open air patio accommodates the coffee-junkies who come to enjoy relaxing conversations with friends, have business meetings or simply watch the world pass them by. Once inside, the sights and sounds of the coffee-going experience come alive as you pass through the double glass doors. Just remember to make note of the little sign alerting you to "pull" and avoid the embarrassing "thud" of your head hitting the door as you enter, a common occurrence here.

For the new-comer, ordering a coffee can be somewhat intimidating and learning the coffee-lingo can take practice. Jessica, one of the barista's on duty this night, is a transplant from New Jersey and is a colorful addition to the coffee shop team. Known simply as "Jersey" by her co-workers, she greets each customer with a friendly smile and just the right amount of New Jersey-like banter.

John, her co-worker and die-hard Green Bay Packers fan peeks from over the espresso machine wearing a cheerfully braced-toothed smile and bursts into his routine from the movie "You've Got Mail."  "The whole purpose of place's like Starbucks is for people with no decision making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, café, de-café, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So, people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $3.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self. TALL, DE-CAFE, CAPPUCCINO!"

The ensemble of energetic employees and mix of neighborhood patrons is what fuels the life that breathes within these walls, and spills out onto the patio. There is always something going on here and it is difficult not to be drawn into the action. Of course, sitting back to observe can be an activity all by itself if that is your wish. On Sundays, a group of alcoholic anonymous members gather to share in their struggles as well as support each other through their victories. Tuesdays are a common night to find the third shift from the Phoenix Fire Department Station 17 sharing a few laughs over a round of coffees, while closely monitoring the chatter coming across their radios.

Finding a place to sit can be a challenge in this Phoenix-oasis from time-to-time and Wednesdays are no exception as deaf coffee night fills this little Starbucks. Kenton Twidt, a deaf student from San Diego, is here visiting his family and enjoying a pleasant Phoenix evening on the front patio with his brother Kelly, who is also deaf. "We are here for deaf-coffee night, a social gathering of friends and sign language students from Phoenix Community College, Glendale Community College and ASU," Kenton signed.

The group monopolizes the outside patio, rearranging the furniture, and sitting in small groups signing and laughing in their animated language. Fast moving fingers spell out the letters of the alphabet and gestures are used to form words and phrases. The students are here to sharpen their sign language skills and learn from their hearing impaired counter-parts to inner-act more comfortably and confidently.

Melissa Lemaster, a hearing sign language student at Phoenix College will receive her certificate of interpretership next year and plans to transfer to ASU west for a bachelor's degree in an undecided study. "When I was young our church had a sign language interpreter, which fascinated me and I knew that is what I wanted to do," Lemaster said while signing.

Soon the others in the group became curious and join the conversation, pulling up chairs or just standing around signing to each other. Their bright smiles adding to the silent exchange of words of excitement as they graciously accepted the "outsider" with pad and pen.

Shay Veno, also a Phoenix College student, will receive his certificate in deaf studies next month. Veno is an accomplished musician and performs locally sharing his Irish heritage through music on his guitar. "My grandfather shortened our last name when he came to America so that he would be more accepted while doing business at his small auto repair shop, which was located in an all Italian neighborhood," Veno shared.

The animated stories made the night pass quickly and soon deaf coffee night came to an end. One-by-one they hugged and signed their goodbye's sharing in last minute details of school and spontaneous laughter, probably completely unaware that they added to the unique style which continually blossoms at this "third place." 




© Copyright 2008 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/582589-Deaf-Coffee-Night