*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585750
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097072
For the rest of my Writer's Cramp Entries
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#585750 added May 18, 2008 at 8:36pm
Restrictions: None
A Convention to Remember
PWW Image Prompt 2

She took another sip of soda from the plastic cup, cursing as the noisy slurp signified that its contents were now empty. Tossing it towards the garbage can - it missed by a mile - she stood, her gaze drifting towards the organized chaos in the next room.

Vendors of comic and graphic novels hawked their wares to wide-eyed fan boys and girls. The latest video games, from Japan, flashed in bright colors (just about enough to give one a seizure) on huge flat screen panels set up around the convention center. It was the 15th Annual Comic-Con and anyone who was anyone in the anime, manga, and fantasy genre made their presence known.

Yvette ran fingers down her chiffon and lace purple ball gown, making sure that everything was presentable enough for the hordes of fans waiting for her appearance. It had taken her a whole month to get her outfit as Princess Kitara, just right. It was a role she had longed to play ever since she watched the anime, read the mangas (all twenty volumes), and played the video games. Kitara was a strong, beautiful and intelligent character. Leader of a small village of healers, she had defended her people from the clutches of the dark evil Lord Kukomon - the antagonist. He was a prince hell-bent on conquering and destroying the tiny kingdom, but as fate would have it, he ended up falling head over heels for the defiant princess. Their romance was considered the greatest of all in the anime world.

"Hey, Yvette," said Amanda, the event organizer, as she poked her head in with a wide grin and a thumbs up sign. "You're up next. You look beautiful, my dear! How did you manage to get your hair up like that?"

Yvette had the grace to blush as she brushed her fingers on the dark but rather stiff and spiky locks. Lots of hair gel had gained this effect. She couldn't thank her sister enough for helping with the hairdo this morning.

"Aww, you're just saying that," Yvette replied as she followed Amanda into the set-up room where other cos-players like herself were waiting to be ushered to the stage. Yvette peered through the curtains and almost balked at the sight of the crowd now forming. She had 'performed' in other conventions before, but never as Princess Kitara. They would have to act out popular scenes, pose with their props, allow the fans to take as many pictures as possible, and sign autographs afterwards.

However, there was just one little problem.

"Umm...where is Lord Kukomon?" she asked Amanda, who was now running around like a crazed woman.

"Oh, he's back here somewhere. I think one of his wings got stuck or...where is the Flying Dragon for chrissakes! Talk to you in a bit, sweetie."

And she was off again.

Yvette, now curious to know who was taking the role of one of the most hated and yet admired characters in the fandom, excused herself through the throng of cosplayers, eyes darting through bold colors of oranges, pinks and gold and outrageous designs ranging from shapeless gowns to a man in a giant banana suit.

"Okay, people it's time to get on stage and do your stuff!" Amanda yelled as the fans began to clap and hoot in anticipation. Yvette was in a panic. She was yet to meet with the elusive Kukomon, and it was always nice for both lead actors to have a quick rapport before performing.

With a flourish, the curtains were thrown open and Yvette was promptly blinded as many flashbulbs went off at once. She tried to keep her composure, remembering that she was supposed to be graceful and serene. Suddenly, she felt a tug behind her and to her horror, she could feel herself falling forwards. Someone had stepped on the train of her gown and there was no doubt she was going to embarrass herself in front of a thousand people. She would never live this moment down. It was going to be publicized all over the web. She would be the laughing stock. She would -

"My dear princess," came the low rumble as strong hands reached to pull her upright. "Are you all right?"

Yvette looked up with gratitude and promptly forgot to breathe. The dark prince from the pages of the famous manga, movies and games stood before her, his black lined eyes warm with concern. Rich, thick hair framed his head like white fire, his raven wings, intricate and full giving the illusion of flight with just one touch. The heavy jet robes with silver designs completed the picture and Yvette had to appreciate the stranger's dedication to becoming Kukomon. It was downright impressive.

"I am now," she finally breathed huskily, unknowingly moving closer to him as the crowd screamed in appreciation. For a moment, she had completely forgotten she was on stage. "Yvette Morgan. Nice to finally meet you, my prince."

"Brandon Miles," he replied with a chuckle. "The pleasure is all mine, princess. Now, let's give these people a good show and then you and me hang out for coffee afterwards, hmm?"

She laughed and spun away, reaching for her magical sword as she prepared for battle against the snowy background that now seemed to envelope them.

"Nice pick up line, Kukomon, but to win me, you've got to fight me to the death."

With a wink of understanding, he fell into his character effortlessly, dazzling the crowd and Yvette as he performed every famous line much to everyone's delight. She felt she held her own against him, and was pleased at some of the reactions she received from adoring fans. However, the best reward came at the final scene where prince and princess finally acknowledged their love with a passionate kiss that simply took her breath away.

To Yvette it was the perfect ending to a wonderful day, where a promising friendship had been born from the pages of a young girl's fantasy.



Word Count: 1000


Notes:
*Bullet*Manga - Japanese name for graphic novels/comic books
*Bullet*Cos-players - Fans of the genre above and fantasy who like to dress up as their favorite characters.

Written for
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1202260 by Not Available.





© Copyright 2008 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585750