*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/593127
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1443622
an adventure of the Mythica and her crew
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#593127 added June 25, 2008 at 11:21pm
Restrictions: None
normal day?
"I’d not try that if I were you, kid," Lyey said from across the main room.
“Why not?” Meena questioned.
“Simply put, Dalyia is in one of her moods again.” Meena couldn’t help rolling her eyes. According to Lyey, someone was always in a “mood”, Dalyia most often and in larger frequency lately. Lyey scowled suddenly and Meena shied. She had forgotten that Lyey’s kind, Ritets , were more than telepathic enough to read thoughts.
“Sorry I shouldn’t have been disrespectful.” Lyey got up and put the book she had been reading aside.
“Understand Kid, D can’t be expected to control herself when she is in one of her moods and we can’t risk her hurting, or, dare I say it, killing you.”
“Has she ever actually done it, I mean hurt someone.” Lyey looked away as though considering.
“Yes.”
“Who?” Meena continued interrogating as Lyey put a hand on her back and started leading her toward the bridge.
“TEL, if it wasn’t for her fast regeneration we might have lost her.” Some beeping alerted them to her com unit. “Lyey here, what be the problem, Mate?”
“Just checking up, Lyey. What’cha doing?”
“I’m escorting the kid away from D.”
“Having a fit, is she?”
“You could say that then.”
“Well if you’ve nothing to do with her I could always use some company here.”
“I hear ya, Mate. I’ll bring her by right short. Lyey out.”
“You’re going to drop me with Kyle?” Meena asked as Lyey replaced the com to its holster on her shoulder.
“I am at that kid, but first…” Lyey was interrupted by some fiery language followed by Eray phasing through the wall; she would have disappeared through the floor if Lyey hadn’t called to her. “Eh Shy, ‘old up. Sounds like D has finally come to a head.”
Eray nodded tentatively as she floated toward them.
“What’s ‘er quarrel, do you know?”
She looked at them with her sad, transparent blue eyes.”She’s on the verge of another growth spurt and the itching is making her irritable.” Meena cocked her head, she still didn’t know why Dalyia got itchy when she grew, and didn’t think most of the others did either. Lyey and Eray were among the ones she thought did.
“That would explain a few things.” Eray then dove into the floor, disappearing from view. Meena and Lyey continued down the corridor toward the command deck in relative silence. The Mythica beeped and made a few funny noises Meena wasn’t used to.
“Hmm,” Lyey muttered reaching for her com. She tried Eray a while and got no response, so she switched her search. A crackle was heard from the others receiver.
“TEL; state your business or forever hold your peace.” Meena wondered if she always answered that way.
“Ah, there ya are Bones. Contact Shy as soon as you can. She’s between objects right now and can’t hear me. Me and kid just heard some unnatural noises in Dralion ally.”
“I hear you, Lyey. Out.”
“I’ll see ya shortly Bones,” Lyey remarked to the silent com as she again put it away. They walked along the grey hall and Lyey pressed the button to open the door. The iris spiraled opened slowly. “Hmm,” Lyey and Meena stepped through the door, “It’s slower than before, I’ll have to talk to D about it; after she’s settled down a touch.”
“I’m still not sure why she wants the doors to move so quickly.”
“Watch how she runs around the ship and you won’t wonder long,” Kyle turned the command seat around. “Here Meena, you can sit with me.” Meena went to him quickly. He was the only other human on board except herself and she viewed him as a sort of big brother.
“Hello, what have we here?” They heard TEL exclaim from the helm. Kyle, Lyey, and Meena advanced on her.
“What is it TEL?” Kyle asked leaning down beside her.
“A ship, by the looks of it, Athuzrian
class.”
“’Ello love, what’s a sweet little thing like you doing out in this sector of space?” Meena looked at her puzzled. She knew enough to know that Athuzrian class ships were very big, at least twice as big as the Mythica.
“TEL is it just me or is that a distress beacon?”
“’Tis indeed captain,” TEL started pocking buttons.
“Are we going to respond to it?” Meena looked up a Kyle.
Kyle didn’t answer right away; instead he started playing with the red and black beaded braid behind his left ear. “Best not to, they didn’t turn it on till just now.”
“What if they only just got into trouble?” Meena protested.
“Maintain com silence, TEL.”
“Too late, they’re hailing us.”
“Come in, this is the D.A.P.H.F.Y. Spring Bloom, in need of immediate assistance, can you read me? Hello?”
Cracked over the intercom, TEL threw a switch. “Spring Bloom, this is the D.R.E.C.C Mythica, we see your beacon and are prepared to help. What is the nature of your distress? Over.”
“D.A.P.H.F.Y. Spring Bloom. Why does that seem familiar?” Kyle rubbed his chin and squinted at the view screen. The intercom crackled again, though the voice sounded calm and collected;
“Weapons malfunction.”
Lyey pushed TEL onto the helm and they veered to the left as a charge exploded on their right side.
“Damn it, “dangerous angry pirates have fooled you,” that’s what D.A.P.H.F.Y stands for!” Kyle exclaimed as they were thrown to the other side of the deck.
“They’re firing again,” TEL called from the helm.
“Where is Dalyia?” Kyle yelled as they slid to the other side and he tried to grab his chair.
“Not a good idea, Mate,” Lyey replied grasping at Meena, “she’s in a mood…”
“Well she sure as heck better get out of it before we all die!” the ship rocked recklessly to the side.
“Shields are low,” TEL called from the helm, which she was desperately trying to hold on to. Kyle punched the nearest com.
“Dal you’d better get up here before…” they were thrown to the other side of the deck.
“Can’t they do anything?” Meena cried holding firmly to Lyey’s leg.
“They ain’t having any malfunctions, kid, they’re shooting on purpose.”
“Dash it all, where’s Dalyia?”
“I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up, captain,” TEL grunted turning the ship again. Kyle, Meena, and Lyey clung to the bottom of her chair. The door spiraled open.
“One side.” TEL jumped out of the chair as Dalyia landed in it and made a spiraling loop around to the other side of the opposite ship. Dalyia flipped another channel open and started yelling at it. “Kkatt we need munitions, something crippling but not fatal. I want to talk to those bozos myself!” Phasers immediately fired, each hitting the Spring Bloom. The ship lurched and Kyle found himself in his chair. He jerked the belt on.
“TEL, give me a reading on the state of their weapons.”
“Aye, captain,” TEL jumped into another chair and started running diagnostics.
“Eray, see if you can get me any more power, I’ll be having a word with those jerks!” Dalyia spun the Mythica onto her side and rented the Spring Bloom with the knife like spikes that adorned the Mythica’s side.
“They’re hailing us,” TEL remarked from her position.
“I’m not answering.”
“Dalyia!” The Mythica made another pass.
“Get me a visual,” Kyle said from his chair, which he was holding in a death grip.
In a matter of moments a distressed face appeared on the view screen.
“We surrender, just don’t…” the man stopped talking and stared intently at the captain, “Kyle?”
“The same, you apparently haven’t forgotten me, Toolio.”
“How could I? You stole my ship, marooned my crew, and made me the laughing stock of every port from here to the Andromeda quadrant.” Everyone save Dalyia turned to stare at Kyle.
“You have a good memory but I think you forgot something,” Kyle sat there smiling at the baffled man before them.
The line between Toolio’s eyebrows lengthened, “You ran off with my daughter, who I later found, abandoned in a good for nothing port off Sierea!” Kyle looked at him innocently and a stifled laugh erupted from Dalyia.
“I did do that, didn’t I?” Kyle shrugged and settled back, “She complained too much, didn’t listen to her captain.” Toolio sputtered and Dalyia settled the Mythica overtop of the Spring Bloom’s hatch. “Prepare to be boarded.” Lyey put her hand on Meena’s back and led her into the sleeping areas.
“What is Kyle going to do?”
“Captain stuff, he’s going to teach those nasty pirates a thing or two.” Meena was puzzled.
“But Lyey, aren’t we pirates?”
“No, Meena,” Lyey knelt down to look the little girl in the eye, “we are simply… liberators of the more expensive cargo that just happens to move through our system.” Meena looked away she didn’t really understand any of what Lyey had just told her. Just then Dalyia walked by. Meena stared up at her. Though she had been there three months she still couldn’t get used to Dalyia’s height.
Lyey laughed reading her mind, “I took a lot longer than you to get used to Dalyia’s imposing stature.” Meena stared at her, “means she’s really tall.”
“Oh.”
“What’s going down, D?”
“Cap’n, me, Kkatt, and TEL are to have a remembrance session with the S.B.”
“Can I come?”
Dalyia stared down at Meena, “No, kid. We have plenty else to do without worrying about you.”
“Besides you and me have to keep the ship prepped in case we need to leave.”
Dalyia took that as the final statement moved past them. She walked straight to where the captain, TEL, and Kkatt were waiting.
© Copyright 2008 Ey Stargazer (UN: unicorn_scribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ey Stargazer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/593127