*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/600984-Not-Of-Your-Choice
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#600984 added August 9, 2008 at 2:05am
Restrictions: None
Not Of Your Choice
Not Of Your Choice
by C Anthony
PC Chronical


Imagine a journey to a strange new land; a journey like no other. There are no travel agents to see all your comforts are met. There are no fresh sheets in a lofty hotel suite and continental breakfast consists of hastily gathered rations and belongings. This journey most likely takes place under the cover of night; across treacherous terrain or inside a claustrophobic truck trailer. Now imagine this journey was not your choice. Imagine living a life of uncertainty in a new land which guarantees a pursuit of happiness only to learn you have no claim to this slice of pie; again not of your choice. Imagine meeting new people and making new friends while attending school in this new land only to have it all taken away. Not of your choice. 

In 2006 the people of Arizona passed Proposition 300 into law which eliminated the ability of undocumented students from obtaining state or federal tuition assistance. They are not kept from attending school but for the majority of these students, paying the out-of-state tuition is a far reach. The controversial debate about Arizona boarders notwithstanding, some close friends started discussing what could be done to help these disenfranchised students continue their education and perhaps…have a choice. 

It was no accident that these long time friends happen to have a close working relationship with Phoenix College as well as the resolve to make a difference. Robert Wisniewski, this year’s Golden Bear recipient is one of many local business professionals making a difference. The Phoenix workman’s compensation attorney has dedicated his life to the call of justice and fair labor practices for those injured on the job. Wisniewski’s modest Phoenix office is the command center for the many clients he sees each week. His dedicated team works with each client, providing the utmost regard for their rights and circumstance.

The New Jersey native moved to Phoenix in 1976 and worked as a law clerk in the Arizona Court of Appeals District Court. From there he did some insurance related defense work before helping to open a Chicago based law firm in Phoenix. His interest in personal injury law grew through his work with the insurance company and before long decided to open his own practice and defend the injured, which was more to his liking. “Sixty to seventy percent of our clients are from within the Hispanic labor force,” Wisniewski said. “These are the people working construction and agriculture, and sometimes [they] get hurt.” Wisniewski is well acquainted with the Latino heritage whose aunt is a Catholic Nun while his wife’s uncle is a Catholic Priest who both happen to serve closely within the Latino communities.

The immigration debate sometimes fogs the public’s perception from seeing the human factor. Wisniewski’s vision is not so clouded and with encouragement of close friend and retired Phoenix College teacher, Dr. Virginia Foster and guidance from Frank Luna, director of Phoenix College Alumni & Development department, the Sister O’Rourke-Father Thomas Moran Scholarship Fund for disenfranchised students was born. “He [Wisniewski] is a selfless man who is not intimidated by popular belief,” Luna said. “His heart is about equal opportunity for all students.” The scholarship was initially funded by Wisniewski with a generous donation from his sister and he made a commitment to continue to fund the scholarship and endow it over the next three years.

“The scholarship is still in its infancy,” Luna said. “There are about a dozen students currently enrolled at PC thanks to this scholarship.” The student’s interests range from nursing to engineering to liberal arts. The application process for this scholarship is as simple as a visit to Mr. Luna’s office where he guides students through a few forms and instruction or with a visit to the Phoenix College Web site at www.pc.maricopa.edu/scholarships.





© Copyright 2008 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/600984-Not-Of-Your-Choice