*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604544
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
#604544 added September 9, 2008 at 2:31pm
Restrictions: None
Mystery 9-3-08
Taken in Wears Valley, TN
”Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.” —Neil Armstrong


An important element in the Mystery Genre is “believability”. For those who read mysteries, it’s the strong desire and underlying curiosity that drives us forward through each page. We want to know; whodunit? Where? Why? How? We want details, satisfying ones ripe with leads. And in the end, we want to believe the events, the characters, the plot twists and turns. We want to say, “Ah, I see. I get it now.” One interesting and informative, yet often overlooked method of achieving believability is the interview.

Last November, I participated in my very first National Novel Writing Month project. It’s a worldwide event affectionately known as NaNo, or NaNoWriMo, depending on whom you talk to.

Anyhoo, the kick-off party was held in the home of one of the NaNo writers. The house was packed with tons of people whom I had never met. It seemed to me, they all knew each other.

Close to 30 of us sat, crammed around a dinning table. And further still, hugging every available inch of kitchen countertop space. A handful of folks stood, backs pressed up against the sideboard, and wall. Many previous participants, caught up with their friends as I busied myself with meeting new ones.

“Does anyone know of anybody who’s been attacked by a bear?” My words, blurted loudly, interrupted the five or more conversations bouncing around the room. At the time, I had considered writing my "novel" with a hiking trip involving a bear attack.

The place erupted with laughter. “You’ll fit right in,” a voice next to me said. Then, several writers meandered over to my direction. They shared with me how they acquired information on their story scenes; exit wounds, forensics details and other interesting facts, needed to create believable novels.

During the NaNo kick-off party I realized interviewing didn’t just belong to those writing articles for newspapers and magazines, or that wonderful gene called creative non-fiction. Fiction writers –including short story writers, poets and the like, can tap into this wonderful resource, too.

Flexibility is the key to success when it comes to interviewing. Question and Answer sessions can be conducted over the phone, in person and through email. All produce equal amounts of success. Successful interviewers become comfortable using all three.

The prelims for all three are similar:
*Bullet* Research: I see you rolling your eyes. I know it’s not glamorous, but, it’s effective. Before you even know who you’ll ask the questions to, research the topic at large. Exploring your subject provides a bit of a foundation, plus, you won't come across unintelligent. Also, it may spark ideas for your story.

*Bullet* More Research; Huh? Yes! Once you’ve pinpointed your interviewee it’s time to do a very quick background check. If he/she is a local expert, ask around for tidbits. Try the internet, too. Knowing a few fun or personal(positive)facts ahead of time can score big when the Q&As start.

Face-to-Face – I love this format because, if the piece allows, I can incorporate facial expressions and body language into my work. I usually schedule these over lunch(my treat) at a place I know I can afford, where the atmosphere isn’t too loud with background noise. If an extra meal isn’t in your budget, spring for coffee. Look at it this way, if your story sells, then the coffee/meal expenses are paid for.

For me, people are relaxed during meals. Lunch supplies a perfect activity during those few embarrassing down moments and eliminates fidgeting of any sort. Food eating also guarantees you have the interviewee’s undivided attention for thirty minutes!

Remember to bring a notebook and working writing utensil with a spare backup. How uncomfortable it would be to ask the food server for a pen or pencil.

Another must-bring is a list of questions. Specifically, the ones you want answered. But ask a few more, after all, you have the attention of an expert here. Take advantage of his/her knowledge. You never know when information might become important to you.

If uneasiness creeps over your body before you begin, start with the basics; name, job title, contact information, anything to break the ice. Before long, you’ll relax. You’ll look, feel and sound like a pro.

Over The Phone – My next to favorite format. This one’s cool because you can conduct an at home in your pajamas meeting and the expert has no idea. I’ve actually done this, when my guy only had a fifteen minute window at 6:30AM.

Here again, be prepared, have a list of questions, but again, be open. One of my favorite things to ask, no matter what format I’m conducting is –“So, what made you decide to become a tennis coach?” (Substitute “tennis coach” for appropriate field.) This questions sparks a passionate response, one usually filled with delicious morsels of information. It gets the pro talking –and me feverishly jotting.

Through Email- If your first two approaches don’t pan out, or, you sense your voice of authority prefers email, go this route. While a little less personal, it’s fast and convenient, and is void of the dreaded “deadspots”.

No matter which format you use, always get permission to call or email back for follow-ups. You may need to clarify something once you get writing. Why not snag the green light for this now.

All-in-all, interviewing through any format is productive. Asking your subject to sit in on an interview is something people usually love to do. Few things flatter the ego like being called an expert. The next time you’re writing about a subject you know little about, pick up the phone and call a voice of authority.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1236799 by Not Available.

 Case of the Missing Guinea Pig  (ASR)
5 hungry cats + 1 missing Guinea Pig = 1 cute and funny mystery.
#1451213 by C L Hughes

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#553193 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1393971 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1448017 by Not Available.



*Gift4* *Balloon5* *Balloon5* Happy 8th Birthday to Writing.com! *Balloon5* *Balloon5* *Gift4*


© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604544