*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/608315
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
#608315 added November 26, 2008 at 8:23pm
Restrictions: None
At the Heart of What You Know - For Authors
a signature given to me.
Writing from your heart.


You hear it all the time: Write what you know. Lots of experts agree, writing what you know, your job, your family life, your personal experiences, gives a realistic feel…a believable feel to your work. Readers like getting lost into works they understand and can follow. While many of us write for ourselves, most of us want a readership. Some of us want more; by-lines and book deals, which means tons more readers, while others are content with a few rate and reviews here on writing.com. If believability or readership is among one of your goals, then writing what you know makes sense. Yes, this includes authors of sci-fi and writers of chainsaw massacres. Everyone benefits from writing common, everyday experiences. Doing so gives depth to those horror, ghost, gothic genres as well as the romance/love, action/adventure, etc.. genres.

When it comes to documenting familiarity there are several approaches and avenues you can take.

Blogging or journaling is a great place to start when honing in on your write what you know skills. It’s more than jotting down an account of the day, although the Record This Fact approach does help to jar the brain into creativity during writer’s block. So go for it when time is limited or brain feels immobile. *Bigsmile*

List Approach
Red dress ripped on fence.
Tripped over rock.
Skinned toe.
Best friend thought it was funny.


Or, you can do one of those non-stop writing sessions describing the event, making sure to throw the urge to self-edit while you write, out the window.

Steam Writing Approach
I so can’t believe Kara laghed at me. and I so almost broke my toe. Like I wanted to yank off my flip flip and throw it at her laughing face. And she supposed to be my friend. It was my favoire red dress, too. “you bought this dress for me!” I yelled at her but I was laughing to. Don’t worry about misspelled or excess of words, or those bumps in transition. I keep a private journal for writing things like this, where I don’t have to worry about readers…where freedom from editing honors productivity. “No one will read this,” I tell myself – knowing no one will.

Get it Close to Right ApproachThe live blog – these entries force (at least somewhat) the writer self-edit. However, live blogging also draws a stronger piece from the writer; sharpening those self-editing skills while rewarding creativity simultaneously. Many bloggers like comments from readers and are careful before posting their entries. These writings help a writer to become more disciplined.

Looking for ideas on how to get into writing what you know mode? Try some of these ideas for stories, poems, journal/blog entries:
*Bullet*All in the same entry write something that happened in childhood, teenager-hood and adulthood.
*Bullet* Write about a hospital experience.
*Bullet*Write –all in the same piece, or separately – love – love for a thing, a pet, a food, a person, and/ a family member.
*Bullet*an embarrassing moment.
*Bullet* career-related activity – getting your first job, your first paycheck, your first pink slip.

Writing what you know not only draws the reader into your works, it helps guarantee believably in your words. It’s easier to “make things up” so to speak, later on when your story demands it, if you have a firm grasp of the day, the event, the feeling. Include sprinkles and splashes of what you know to give the reader an opportunity to “buy into” your story.

In the end, as authors, we become more comfortable, more confident in our writing, and are thus able to branch out –into those ghost or Friday the 13th type stories. We can create scenes with more depth and emotion. Our stories have gut and grit and our readers are happy. It’s a win-win situation.

A Mom's Life  (E)
A poem about being a Mom.
#252488 by justme

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#920465 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1312129 by Not Available.

 Tonights Tempest  (E)
The static change.
#1476163 by grayshift

Train of Adventure  (E)
Memories of a different time.
#1464152 by Jaye P. Marshall

 Smile  (E)
A mother daughter moment.
#1044189 by NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth



marykate writes:
Hello! I am taking a creative writing class and my teacher has a quote she always says. I like it and really just want to share it w/ someone. Here it goes.
"Don't just say what's going to happen, show it."


Excellent advice from your teacher! Thanks for sharing

selisa writes:
Thank you. This is going to be very helpful with a short story I am trying to write.

thanks for the kind words, selisa *Bigsmile*

Coolhand writes:
Great job, Robin. This was a meaningful and useful article on foreshadowing. Super examples!

aw, shucks, thanks Cool…I really did enjoy putting that NL together. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/608315