*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/611153-No-Plot
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#611153 added October 5, 2008 at 6:16pm
Restrictions: None
No Plot
Suddenly I’m really motivated to work on two or three stories I’ve been avoiding. With NaNo around the corner, a filled plate turned my eyes in other directions. But, then…I remembered one of Chris Baty’s tricks. While you can’t write ahead of time, you can put other pieces of written work in your novel if you are struggling to meet your word count. All’s fair in novel writing and word quotas.

Not that I’m intentionally writing now, to insert into a rushed novel, but the thought takes a load of my back.

I’ve been skimming through my No Plot No Problem book, and the kit…There’s a game you can play if you’re stuck. He throws it out to you during week three when thoughts of abandonment run rampant and motivation disappeared with muse almost out of the gate.

So, back to the game…you set yourself down in a crowded place, a public place, one where you won’t be interrupted and you can watch others hang out or walk by. You’re supposed to close your eyes and count to 15. As soon as you open your eyes, the person you see is your character. Quickly jot down all details you can before he/she walks away.

Then, open up the (unread) newspaper, close your eyes and run your fingers over the page. Count to 15 and open them up. The photograph, advertisement, or article your finger is on is supposed to provide pertinent information about your new character.

Somehow, I don’t remember reading this game the first time around and I’m excited. I think, I’ll use it to help develop my characters in the upcoming weeks. I’ve got my index cards, a notebook with folders and stuff. I’m giving myself permission to throw all when being swept up by the NaNo madness. The preparation helps gear up my anticipation for the kick off in November.

Speaking of kick off. We’re debating about having a kick-off –slash-write-in since October 31st falls on a Friday. How cool would it be to socialize and start typing at midnight1

Well, I’m off for a bit of character development or fiction writing.


© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/611153-No-Plot