*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/613529-The-Freedoms-We-Enjoy-Also-Leave-Us-At-Risk
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1241026
Thoughts on things from the news, TV, radio, and daily life that hit home with me.
#613529 added November 8, 2008 at 10:41am
Restrictions: None
The Freedoms We Enjoy Also Leave Us At Risk
         This upcoming election, and all the media exposure it's getting, brought a thought to mind within the last couple days, and I hope a lot of other people noticed what I noticed, and do what they can to safeguard our freedoms.
         The freedoms we enjoy also leave us at risk. Not from outside, like the way Russia invaded the republic of Georgia, but from the inside. And that’s what make it doubly dangerous.
         Choose the term you want to use: registration fraud, ACORN, voter fraud. All of this raises a red flag two ways.
         First, these things themselves can jeopardize our future by creating situations where invalid signatures have a chance of slipping through the system, which indirectly could unfairly influence the resulting outcome.
         But worse than that is that this situation - the registration and voter fraud combined with the plans of some of the candidates - especially those they don’t reveal during the campaign process. THAT is what could ultimately lead to the loss of our freedoms.
         Keep in mind that what I'm about to describe could begin occurring with ANY election; it's not restricted to just this one.
         It can start with one candidate, for any office. The office of President is just the most publicly visible one. When even one person whose political views involve the downfall of our current governmental system gets into office, they and their sympathizers then have an edge, making it a little easier to get other candidates into office, as long as that first one keeps making a glowingly wonderful impression on the citizens of this country.
         Are you thinking that no one person could have the personality, manner, education and other qualities that could allow them to unite practically the entire country behind them? Thankfully, the example I have of that was a POSITIVE ONE for our country:

John F. Kennedy

         But it could be just as easy for someone whose political views are against our country to unite us if they had many of those same qualities. And that would provide a chance for our enemies to have a foot in the door that could mean eventual loss of our freedoms as the influence of their philosophy, and that of their supporters, found its way into our legislative system. One by one, laws could be passed that slowly erode our freedoms. And we will have elected the people that did it into the offices they will hold, or elected them to offices that gave them the power to appoint others of their philosophy into influential positions.

         Think your vote won’t change anything? THINK AGAIN! As long as you listen very carefully to what all the candidates are saying, and make a carefully considered choice, your vote can go a long way to keep those who would defeat our way of life and take away our freedoms from having the chance to do that.

         Listen carefully to what the candidates say, and don’t say, and use your vote to protect our freedoms.

© Copyright 2008 Incurable Romantic (UN: jwilliamson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Incurable Romantic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/613529-The-Freedoms-We-Enjoy-Also-Leave-Us-At-Risk