*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/614353
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
#614353 added November 13, 2008 at 9:32am
Restrictions: None
Self-editing Action/Adventure 11-13-08
This is why I love Savannah, Georgia

"Books aren't written, they're rewritten. Including your own. It is one of the hardest things to accept, especially after the seventh rewrite hasn't quite done it... " --Michael Crichton 1942 - 2008


Seven rewrites?

Crichton, best known for books like The Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, The Rising Sun to name a few, and also known as the creator of the Emmy-winning TV series, E.R., knew all about the editing process.

Self-editing is more than proof reading or checking your work for correctness in spelling, grammar and punctuation…it’s shaping, molding, expanding, and cultivating your words. You’re not just checking for consistency, but believability and cohesiveness. You’re looking for plot holes, and discrepancies in your characters while smoothing out your delivery of style, clarity of message, and sharpness of description.

In the beginning, self-editing may feel like a chore, but when approached with a different mindset and a blueprint in hand, the process morphs into an extension of your creativeness. Watching your story hatch, emerge grow, and develop into a full-blown piece gives you a level of satisfaction and accomplishment beyond description.

What if you don’t have a blueprint? Or a best friend who just so happens to be an editor? Here are some tips offered by bona fide writers, and editors.

Spell Check - Always a solid move; however, do not strictly rely on its suggestions. I know I’m raining on someone’s parade when I say, “Spell checkers are not Gods, nor are they the leading authority on all that is grammatical.” A writer’s style may outweigh advice given by spell check. Nonetheless, if edit as you go, (a formula sure to produce a breeding ground for typos and improper sentence structures), those little red and green squiggly lines are a godsend.

Breather – Suspend editing until after you’ve had an opportunity to walk away from your piece for a bit. Even a few minutes beats no break at all. A thirty-minute intermission does wonders when it comes to recharging your batteries. A general rule of thumb here is, the longer the piece, the longer your hiatus.

Print – Make sure to double space and leave wide margins –giving yourself plenty of room for note taking. Then get ready to…

Read Out Loud - I can't expresses the importantance of this step. Reading your words out loud accomplishes two things: First, it gives you a feel for what your readers are getting from your work. Second, it forces you to read every single word. You’re more likely to catch simple errors and typos, for instance; typing the word “know” instead of “known” becomes more obvious when you've enlisted your ears to the editing campaign.

Recruit Others – Ask a trusted friend – even a non-writer. Getting a perspective from a reader helps heaps when trying to nail things like delivery or clarity of message. Especially when you, the writer are so caught up in the story.

Sources - If you’re preparing your work for submission, it’s always a great idea to include a list of sources equipped with contact information. Editors are notorious for working up to deadline. If your editor can’t reach you for questions, he can at least contact others for verification.

Like Chriton, you’ll want to run through this method a few times making sure to concentrate on a particular aspect of editing during each round. Yes, self-editing takes time, but, it doesn’t have to be a chore. It can be exhilarating and creative and give you a strong sense of accomplishment. Pick up your pen, and a printed copy of your story, grab your blueprint and get busy self-editing. You'll produce five-star pieces and your readers will surely come back for more.


*Star**Star**Star**Star*Tools You Can Use *Star**Star**Star**Star*


I’ve posted this item a number of times but it offers tons of quick fixes when self-editing
"Invalid Entry

Lots of writers have punctuation issues when it comes to dialogue tags. Here are a few quick rules:

*Bullet*When the tag comes first, you must follow it with a comma. Ex. Judy looks at Laney and says, “Okay. Let’s take my car.”
*Bullet*When the tag follows the quotation, two things happen:
         *Check3*The tag begins without capitalization. Ex. “No,” she says, fingers still typing at the keyboard.
         *Check3*The quotation ends with a comma. In other words, the comma replaces the period at the end of the quote. “No,” she says, fingers still typing at the keyboard.

*Bullet*If the tag breaks up the quotation, then the quotation will carry on without capitalization. Ex. “Are you,” she pauses to glance down at his mismatched socks, “okay?”



 Destination: Berlin - Chps 3 & 4 Edited  (13+)
Sharon discovers top secret documents in her briefcase.
#1181078 by StephBee - House Targaryen

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1289528 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1489706 by Not Available.


spidey
An excellent newsletter! The combination of Horror & Comedy is one of my favorites in writing and on film.

Thanks for a great newsletter!


Maria Mize
Robin---enjoyed your humor here. Can't wait to take a peek at the writings/authors you've selected to include here... as well as something you've written. (I'm remembering Young Frankenstein... Actually, there was a funny/horror show on the other night but I didn't catch the name... though it was hilarious.)

Acme
Thanks for featuring the Comedy Workshop in your fun newsletter about horror/comedy. I became a fan of the two genres working together when I saw Abbott and Costello's The Mummy when I was little. If it's done well, comedy horror is great. I'm a particular fan of the Evil Dead movies, because of the humour employed

andromeda
sigh. my problem is that most people don't get my humor. I try really hard but i mostly end up with blank stares.

© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/614353