*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/614386
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1390542
Action / Adventure Newsletters, and others, when i'm the guest editor.
#614386 added November 6, 2008 at 12:14pm
Restrictions: None
Plot - Action Adventure
Taken in Wears Valley, TN
First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him!
- Ray Bradbury



When we follow the hero, we follow the plot. As writers, we hope our plot is interesting, engaging, and, well let’s be honest –the best plot ever written in the history of literature. You know, the one that will score us millions in book royalties and gain us appearances on The Oprah Show. Before plot can grab the reader’s attention, it needs a few ingredients. Including these will at least provide the base for a solid story. In other words, to make potato salad you need potatoes –everything else you add makes your potato salad different, tasty, scrumptious.
What are these ingredients?

Establish a main character(s) and add in a specific goal (or set of goals). Let’s say our heroine wants to win a grand slam in tennis. Presto, we have an idea – a “plot bunny” as they say in the world of NaNo.Our tennis player has a goal –to win a prize. Now, it’s up to us to add the different tasty details. Now, it’s time to add…
Lots of Obstacles. In action/adventure you can almost say, “More is better.” Think of your favorite flicks. Pirates of the Caribbean. And Robin Hood Prince of Thieves come to my mind. The adventure never ends. Once Jack Sparrow narrowly escapes execution, he’s on to recapture the Black Pearl.

Keep your main character(s) active. Never let him/her rest. No sooner has he/she resolved one issue than drop him/her into another one; each escalating in desperateness.

Foreshadowing - Give the reader clues to upcoming events. Readers love hints. If your antagonist will use the king’s sword to try and murder your main character, have the readers see the sword in an earlier chapter, maybe hanging on the wall in the castle dungeon. Hint dropping excites and engages readers. They realize the sword will play a part and they wonder how.

Or, if magic beans will help save the protagonist, allowing the readers to discover the beans heightens the story’s interest. Readers want to know how and when you, the author, will finally allow the main character to realize the significance of the beans.

All is lost - No way out. Readers know you will resolve the issues, and the main character will obtain his/her goal(s). Try backing your main character in a corner before letting him cut loose and make it across the finish line.

Last minute rescue – Here is when the main character discovers the magic beans were in his pocket all along, or his best buddy pops up in the scene to help him fight off the bad guys. Even in your mini-hurdles, playing them out and waiting until the last possible moment to “save” is exciting.

Wrap things up. Readers feel cheated or duped when you don't resolve situations. If you're planning a sequel, dropping some hints of upcoming struggles is great, but leaving things hanging is not. Why did I just spend three weeks reading a novel only to discover the treasure is still buried, the pirates are still stuck at sea and the parrot still hasn't learn to talk yet? If you promised me answers in the beginning, deliver them in the end, and then you've hooked me for your sequel.

*Star**Star**Star*Before you begin*Star**Star**Star*

Get organized. ( stop rolling your eyes) index cards, preferably colored ones or at least colored ink pens or pencils bring a bit of creativeness into the process as well as generate work you can easily identify when you are in the depths of writing.

Add more cards during your writing. Jotting down actions helps you keep track of them. Also, when you've written your story arc, you can review your "plot cards" quickly, assess their cohesiveness and make necessary changes.

The next time you’re stuck on plot, remember, identify your main character, his goals, and give him lots of obstacles to hurdle. Then, use foreshadowing, and last minute rescues and you have yourself one awesome plotline that will excite and engage the reader.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1311072 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1388020 by Not Available.

A Flag That Waves For Me  (18+)
for purpose, for truth, for the measure of a man...
#1221168 by kjo just groovin'

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1458252 by Not Available.

STATIC
The Fellowship Of The Wing  (13+)
A short parody of the Lord of the Rings
#630074 by W.D.Wilcox

The Avatar Awakens  (13+)
The Knights of Ma-R prepare for a final battle with Lord Bellemarr.
#1328341 by Joshiahis




StephBee - House Targaryen
Robin, great discussion about the Narrative Presence. For me, the success of the story hinges on it. Thanks for giving us tips on how to cultivate it.


flex
Dear Robin,

I read your newsletter on narrative presence after reading Joy's drama newsletter about inner conflict; both complement each other in engaging a reader's interest. The narrative voice of the author helps compliment a character driven plot by adding a new voice to the chorus. A useful and insightful newsletter. Thank you.


Little Miss Leigh-Lee
Great newsletter Robin *Smile*
Especially inspirational just before we start NaNoWrimo! Thank you - you have given me lots of ideas *Smile*

Hope the articles are going well *Smile* Leigh

Coolhand
This is an interesting take on the narrator. I've never thought of it as narrative presence. But that's exactly what it is. It speaks right to characterization. Very helpful.

Coolhand


bobneH .. aka.. just bob
A comment on 'narrative voice'.(narrative presence)

While NP can add greatly to the readers enjoyment, it must be used with extreme caution.
There are things the VP character just won't see.
Ask yourself, 'Would he notice that? Why?'
And thoughts? Ask yourself. 'Would he be thinking about that... at this time?'
If the answer is yes, by all means put it in.

just bob

spidey
Awesome newsletter on Narrative Presence!

~MorningStorm~
Great newsletter, Robin! Your article on NP is going to help me tremendously. I can't wait to go over my stories again and see how I can better them with NP!! Thanks!!


© Copyright 2008 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/614386