*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621654-Back-in-the-Saddle-temporarily
Rated: XGC · Book · Experience · #1034564
A new journal for a new beginning
#621654 added December 1, 2008 at 10:18pm
Restrictions: None
Back in the Saddle (temporarily)
Well, my Dad in an unprecedented display of fatherly support has allowed me to borrow his laptop so I can finish out my GIS class without having to spend any long hours in the frigid computer labs on campus. Turns out there's an non-encrypted wireless signal near my house too! I'm not counting on it to be reliable but it has been nice to do things on the net that I would normally have to do in person or over the phone. I've REALLY missed having internet access. I also signed up to take most of my credits online next semester which will make for less scheduling issues with the jobs. I might have to pony up the dough for a laptop of my own by then, but I'm holding out hope that my dad will let me keep this laptop until the summer (and that the signal I'm currently poaching holds up*Pthb*). I'm really not any less broke than I was two weeks ago. I'm selling one of my textbooks from last semester on half.com in the hopes it will provide enough cash for NEXT semester's books. I'm cancelling my gym membership and I'll be asking for Whole Foods gift cards and cash for Christmas and my birthday.

Beyond money, I'm just trying to stay sane. I've been pushy and neurotic with my coworkers a lot lately, probably because I feel resentful that I only see people I work with rather than my friends. The restaurant has asked me to work both Christmas and New Years Eves, but they'll likely be denied because the grocery store will want me for one or both of those days. I'm thinking about asking off from the grocery store but telling the restaurant I'm there anyway. The restaurant manager will be pissed but I need a break, almost as much as I need the money. Or maybe I'll just say "Fuck It" and work doubles both days. I'll get time-and-a-half from the grocery store and the restaurant is sure to be slammed with tips to match. I'll still be off in time to crack open champagne with my friends on New Years and I can always ask for Dec. 26th and Jan. 2nd off. Crap, I don't know. What I DO know is that I'm $2000 in credit card debt because of my school expenses and will need some savings before I go to grad school.

I think I'll take my sisters advice and JUST be a full time student when the time comes and float on student loans. I only agree partly with this philosophy, because I think debt is debt regardless of it's form. Student loans are a kinder debt with a lower interest, though, so taking a semester to get my bearings will do me good. I've got no issue with waitress part-time to pay my living expenses. If anything, this year and a half has been good practice for living like a student again. Student loans seem to be the only guarantee as government funding for grants continues shoot down the tubes. It's against my principles, but I hope to God that there is another stimulus package. Sure, it will fuck us but at least not until I'm out of grad school. *shrugs*

© Copyright 2008 Artemismad (UN: artemismad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Artemismad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621654-Back-in-the-Saddle-temporarily