*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621699
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Drama · #1500114
Follow Dr.Trommashere as she navigates through life changing (and shattering) events.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#621699 added December 27, 2008 at 2:57am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
I woke up to the gentle hiss of the respirator.  I heard people talking around me, but I felt like I was listening to them from fifty feet under water. Every time I'd begin to focus, my mind would wander and I'd lose my place.  I felt a gentle, pin like sensation on my arm, and I jerked it away, pulling it to my side, absently fumbling for my side arm.  All I could remember was being trapped in a room, no way out, with a gun at my side.  I heard a voice clearly this time.

"She's ready..."

I felt the head of the bed sit up, and someone leaning close to my right ear began talking in a very loud and slow voice, like they were talking to someone who was deaf, and they were trying to get their point across.

"I'm going to pull this tube in your mouth out...when I do, I want you to breathe out as hard as possible...cough if you need to. Do you understand me?"

I understood him alright; they were going to extubate me.  I bit down hard on the endo tube, and I got a little chuckle inside my head listening to all the bells and whistles going off, and hearing a nurse freak out.  Score 1 point for me...can I make it a hat trick this time.  I felt them pulling on the tube, and I gathered my breath to exhale with them.  It was a bizzare feeling, being on this side of the bed as it were.  As the tube slid out, I couldn't help but gag.  I opened a swollen eye, my world blurry and hazy.

"Ms. Trommashere...can you speak? Can you hear me?"

I gritted my teeth, focusing as best as I could.  I knew the guy who was speaking with me, and we had gone round for round in the OR as well as the ER.

"Yes, I can talk.  Next time, deflate the damn balloon all the way will you?  That really sucks coming back up..."  I managed a smile as he looked at me, Dr. Andrew Mc'Brien, with a flustered look on his face.  I enjoyed making him squirm.  Him and I went rounds upon rounds in the ER and the OR.  The Anesthesia Docs and the Trauma Docs rarely ever got along.  While we were ready to go , ready to cut, slice and dice, they made us wait.  Conversely, Without them, we wouldn't be able to hack into people to fix them...well...we could, but that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"Ahem, Doctor ", he said with a tight lipped smile.  I know he hated it, calling me Doctor, and I didn't care.  "Doctors McGinnis and Klein will be in to speak with you shortly."  McGinnis and Klein...they were Neuro guys.  Maybe they just want to say hello.   Mc'Brien stalked out of the room as I brushed him off rather curtly, waving him off like a servant.  I didn't need someone standing at the edge of my bed treating me like a child.  I put my hands on either side of me, scooting my butt back.  It was only a slight thought that I couldn't move my legs, but it didn't bother me much.  I knew I had surgery on my back, so I figured the nerve block hadn't worn off yet.

Laying my head back, I realized just how lonely I was.
© Copyright 2008 Angeni Windsong-Trommashere (UN: dr.trommashere at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Angeni Windsong-Trommashere has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621699