*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623119
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1503327
The story of heros and their attempt to save four dying empires.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#623119 added May 5, 2009 at 2:01pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Four: Over the Hill
The last day in Varvis was devoted to preparing for their trip. Astron bought everything, including Barkus’s supplies. The elf seemed to have no end to his money. That evening they ate a large dinner and Astron watched Barkus entertain the crowd with a song and a story. But tomorrow this would all be gone. He will start to realize more and more as this trip goes on. But until then, let him celebrate. They both left the common room early to get some sleep. They wanted to leave early the next morning.
         Astron woke Barkus the next day fully packed and dressed, ready to travel. Barkus wondered if the elf ever slept at all. Barkus dressed to travel, gathered his bags, and went downstairs. A very grumpy looking Florince was putting a plate of eggs and bacon in front of were Barkus was supposed to sit. Barkus guessed that Florince wasn’t very happy about being woken at this time of day to feed his least favorite customer breakfast. But Barkus wasn’t that bad of a person and it was his job to feed them. After he went away, mumbling about missed sleep Astron leaned forward.
         “Are you ready?” he asked.
         “Ready as I will ever be.” Barkus replied. “You do know how dangerous this is. Coming here was hard enough. There were a lot of small battles breaking out just over the border. I really wasn’t expecting to be able to get back.”
         “Don’t worry. There are plenty of ways through to Triss with ought being seen.” Barkus didn’t complain. The elf knew what he was doing. This was his adventure; Barkus was just along for the ride. The elf stood up.
         “Finish you food. I am going to saddle the horses. Meet me out front when you are done.” The elf left. Barkus sat and finished his food. When he was finished he stood up and left a tip for Florince. Hopefully that would make it worth it to him for getting up so early.          
         Barkus went outside and walked down the street. The inn was situated in a nicer section of town. Little shops lined the road and houses with gardens and hedges out front. There was no one out yet. It was far too early.
         Barkus turned the corner that led to the stable and walked right into a horse. Barkus thought the horse would rear back in freight but it didn’t. It just stood there looking impassively down at him. Astride the horse rode Astron. He was smiling again.
         “I said I would meet you in front.” He said. Behind the white horse was Barkus’s own brown chestnut horse. It was saddled and had all the equipment as well. Barkus had had this horse for years. He had named it Rohn and had had it for the past ten years. He pulled himself into the saddle next to Astron.
         “That is a very nice horse. You have there, very well trained. How long have you had him.?” Barkus asked. Astron shrugged.
         “A few years. I didn’t train him, the Animig did. All elf horses are trained like this. They will obey with ought question, no matter what.” Barkus wanted to ask who the Animig were but decided to save that question for later.
         They rode through the rest of the town in silence. Around them they could see the first signs of people waking. A ruffling curtain, a window thrown open. Barkus and Astron received many strange looks as they passed through the town. As they neared the wall they slowed the horses down. A high stone wall was before them. It held a large opening that in danger or at night would close two layers of four foot wooden doors. A portcullis would then drop at both ends of the tunnel, sealing it off. The gate was open now however and Astron and Barkus passed through.
         They proceeded strait ahead to the base of the hill in front of the city. They rode to the crest of the hill were Astron stopped. Barkus rode a little farther ahead before he notice Astron wasn’t with him. He stopped and rode back over to Astron.
         “Why have you stopped?” Barkus asked. Astron just sat there staring down upon the city and out over the surrounding landscape.
         “I don’t know” he mumbled. His lips were barely moving. “I just… had a feeling. Like I will never see this place again.” Then he seemed to mentally shake himself. He stood up straighter in his saddle, and rode over the crest of the hill and down the other side without looking back.
© Copyright 2009 Kerdonkulus (UN: kerdonkulus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kerdonkulus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623119