*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623934
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1503327
The story of heros and their attempt to save four dying empires.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#623934 added December 16, 2008 at 11:10am
Restrictions: None
Chapter One: The Broken Wheel
In the far north of the Third Kingdom, on the plains of Arothhead lies a city called Varvis. If you went into Varvis by the west gate and followed the road about halfway into the city, you would find an inn by the name of The Broken Wheel. In this inn the barman and owner Florince Weatherber was having his busiest night of the year. Florince was a short, round man with a bald head but a large amount of beard and mustache. And he ran the inn completely on his own.
         The entire town seemed to be pilled into his tiny little inn. All the people though were there for one reason and it wasn’t his beer. A messenger from the Border had arrived. After delivering his information to the Captain of the Guard, he had chosen an inn to spend his newly earned pay. It was now the Captain’s responsibility to pass on the information to the king. He brought news from the first kingdom and all wanted to hear it. So the messenger had chosen the Broken Wheel and it was having its busiest night ever.
         “So there I was, sittin in the bar in Triss” said the messenger, whose name was Barkus. “And one of the king’s soldiers is sittin there.  An he was dead drunk by the look of him. An then he gets up an says,”
         “Everyone’s sayin it. The First Kingdom has finally won. The only problem is, no one sees it.” Muttering broke out following this statement
“And it was plain foolishness to fight us from the beginning. In fact the other kingdoms,” but Barkus broke off his narrative as the inn door opened and the whole tavern fell silent. A man moved into the room and headed to a table in the far corner of the room. As he sat down talk broke out again but many mutters were heard among the talk.
         “Of course HE came!”
         “Tonight of all nights!”
         “Why can’t he do the world a favor and stay away.”
Many cast sidelong looks into his corner. Florince bustled over to take the strangers order but the man waved Florince away. Indignant at having his audience disrupted, Barkus cleared his throat loudly to regain attention.
         “Anyways, their war isn’t over yet. One nation still seems to be giving them trouble. They can’t keep her Majesties armies out of their nation can they? Companies of orcs have been spotted moving all inside their borders with a dragon or two at times!” More muttering broke out at this. Yes, it was perfectly true. The orcs of the Fifth Kingdom had been especially active lately, but none of the Kings had been able to keep them out.
         “The First King fights them but they always seem one step ahead. Always seem to know what he’s thinking. And I wonder how.” Letting that thought hang in the air, Barkus got up and ordered another beer. When he sat down again with a full tankard in hand he noticed that the man that had entered earlier was watching him from across the room. Barkus waved Florince over.
         “Who’s that man over there in the corner?” Barkus asked. Florince didn’t need to look up and he didn’t want to. He knew who Barkus was talking about.
         “I don’t rightly know his name. I don’t think anyone does. He just shows up every few months, rents the best room for a few days, then disappears. Doesn’t come back for a while after that. Matter o’ fact, I don’t think I’ve seen him in about four months now.” Barkus nodded and Florince left to tend to his customers. The man seemed to have understood what had just passed between Barkus and Florince. He raised a finger and beckoned Barkus over. Intrigued, Barkus stood and started across the room. Many stared as he headed toward the figure, almost as if he were mad. Barkus paid them no attention sat down next to the man waiting for him to speak.
         “I was wondering if I could have a word, Barkus is it?” Barkus started. He didn’t remember telling anyone his name. But that was not what surprised him. It was the voice. The man’s voice was smooth and sweet, not at all like the voice of a normal man.
         “Who are you?” Barkus stuttered. He wasn’t afraid of the man He just seemed different for some reason.
         “I will tell you but it must in private. Would you be willing to come to my room later tonight?” Barkus’ curiosity was aroused. He nodded.
         “Thank you” said the man. “My room is on the top floor, last on the left.” Barkus nodded and finally turned to look at the man. He started and blinked several times. The man was gone!
         “Maybe I’ve had a drink to many” he mumbled to himself. Many of the occupants of the tavern were now casting him fearful looks and edging away from him. Some even seemed to have left the inn. He got up, ordered another beer from Florince, and sat back down to wait.

© Copyright 2008 Kerdonkulus (UN: kerdonkulus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kerdonkulus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/623934