*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638181-The-Cursor
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#638181 added February 28, 2009 at 8:04pm
Restrictions: None
The Cursor
  Has it been five months since I last wrote? I have logged on many times only to stare at the screen or tap out some ridiculous repetitive line over and over again similar to, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” feeling the pressure of writing something really compelling and edgy. But, there it is…that blinking cursor mocking me…taunting me to try; until I give in to the intimidating metronome-like blink and slam shut the lid of my laptop completely defeated.
  Wandering about my quiet condo I take to the warm air of a mid-spring afternoon to console my defeated thoughts with a relaxing drag from a smoke and the subtle hint of orange blossoms drifting in the air. And there he is; back from his winter vacation afar; the mocking bird. In all its glory of annoying song it chirps out a buffet of stolen melodies. Leering at me from a eucalyptus tree I’m no longer safe. Is this a conspiracy? Are the cursor and mocking bird somehow scheming together to haunt my thoughts?
  I’m forced to retreat into the safety of my condo and quickly close the windows, shutting out the sounds of his piercing cry. The walls of the room seem to close in around me until there is nothing but a small cubicle and I am again face-to-face with the flashing cursor; still mocking…still taunting…now somehow inspiring.
 
   


© Copyright 2009 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638181-The-Cursor