*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638563-Oklahoma-Boy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#638563 added March 3, 2009 at 12:21am
Restrictions: None
Oklahoma Boy
Paul Aurandt loved words. The young charismatic lad would pass his time building radio receivers and strumming his guitar until one fateful day in 1933, at the suggestion of his high school teacher, Paul was given a job. He arrived each day to the small broadcasting station of KVOO in Tulsa, excited and eager, wide-eyed and anxious, not minding at all that his only duties were sweeping and cleaning. Eventually, the charming young boy, whose warm smile and dapper personality caught the attention of the radio station producer, was given a spot as a fill-in announcer where he read commercials and news for all to hear.
Paul couldn’t imagine being happier. The young Oklahoma boy sat with great steadiness from behind the microphone and would read the news as if telling a story. All through college Paul worked at that little Tulsa radio station reading to his audience with whom he had never met. So successful was the lad that he eventually worked his way to station program director and later station manager itself.
You know that boy from Oklahoma, the once custodian who swept and cleaned. The young boy who enjoyed tinkering with transistor radios and would go on to became a household name. He informed and entertained countless generations of American’s and it’s a safe bet his gentle voice echoed in your home as well. Yes, you know that boy…the boy we grew up to know as Paul Harvey.



“Hello American’s.” The voice of an American radio pioneer went silent this weekend but will not be forgotten. For me, Paul Harvey was a staple of daily life. Harvey’s News and Commentary and The Rest of the Story could be heard from the little radio that played in my kitchen growing up. I remember always looking forward to his next story and would often try to guess who he was so eloquently describing before he got to the end. As a boy, I remember seeing him broadcasting through the observation window of his Michigan Ave. studio in Chicago during a day in the city with my aunt. We would often visit The Water Tower Place for my fix of FAO Schwartz toy store and then stop for a wonderful lunch along The Miracle Mile.
After hearing of Mr. Harvey’s passing, I tried to think how the rest of his story might be told. What would he have said of himself? I have heard him say that he never considered what he did to be work. He enjoyed it that much. “I have never worked a day in my life,” Harvey once said. He had a magical life from all accounts. He lived a real romance story with his wife Angle and was a true American to our nation. He gave us hope in ourselves and painted a verbal picture of Americana and of humanity unlike any broadcaster of our time.  Farewell Paul Harvey…and “Good Day.”

C Anthony






A statement from Former President George W. Bush

"Laura and I are saddened by the death of Paul Harvey. Paul was a friendly and familiar voice in the lives of millions of Americans. His commentary entertained, enlightened, and informed. Laura and I are pleased to have known this fine man, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family."  - Former President George W. Bush

A statement from Paul Harvey Jr

"My father and mother created from thin air what one day became radio and television news. So in the past year, an industry has lost its godparents and today millions have lost a friend."  - Paul Harvey Jr.

A statement from ABC Radio Networks President Jim Robinson.

"Paul Harvey was one of the most gifted and beloved broadcasters in our nation’s history. As he delivered the news each day with his own unique style and commentary, his voice became a trusted friend in American households. His career in radio spanned more than seven decades, during which time countless millions of listeners were both informed and entertained by his “News & Comment” and “Rest of the Story” features. Even after the passing of his loving wife Angel in May 2008, Paul would not slip quietly into retirement as he continued to take the microphone and reach out to his audience. We will miss our dear friend tremendously and are grateful for the many years we were so fortunate to have known him. Our thoughts and prayers are now with his son Paul Jr. and the rest of the Harvey family. "

- Jim Robinson
President, ABC Radio Networks 


© Copyright 2009 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638563-Oklahoma-Boy